Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

6300M JL658A Create VSF using SFP+ Ports

This thread has been viewed 23 times
  • 1.  6300M JL658A Create VSF using SFP+ Ports

Posted May 31, 2021 05:22 PM
    Hi,

As per the 10.07 VSF Guide (page 8) 10G ports can be used for VSF :

"Connections between the switches must use 10G, 25G, or 50G links. All VSF links in a stack should operate at the same speed."

Does this also applies for the SFP+ ports in the JL658A 6300M device model? I have read on some other threads that the VSF link is restricted to the SFP56 ports but I am not sure if this restriction applies to the JL658A.

------------------------------
    Juan Jose Perez Avila

• 2.  RE: 6300M JL658A Create VSF using SFP+ Ports

MVP GURU
    Posted May 31, 2021 06:50 PM
    Personally I'm aware about a similar restriction (VSF Link only on SFP56 ports, so on port 25, 26, 27 and 28 on 24 port models or on port 49, 50, 51 and 52 on 48 ports models).

Maybe you're referring to the fact that interface 25 and 26 - both are 1/10/25/50G capable if properly equipped with Transceivers/DACs - are just "reserved" in case the "VSF auto-stacking" deployment method is used: that's true on 24 ports models such as the JL658A 6300M 24SFP+ 4SFP56 Switch and, respectively, it's true for interface 49 and 50 on 48 ports models too (for the same reason).

I believe that you can use other interfaces as VSF Link's ports, included those that are simply SFP/SFP+ capable or those that are SFP/SFP+/SFP38 and SFP56 capable.

Davide Poletto

• 3.  RE: 6300M JL658A Create VSF using SFP+ Ports

Posted May 31, 2021 07:21 PM
    Hi Davide,

As usual thanks for your help. I was not referring to the specifics of VSF "auto-stacking" but as to if it was possible to use any of the 24 SFP+ ports (SFP+ XCVR must be used as per the VSF  Guide which states that 10G, 25G and 50G are the recommended speeds for VSF Links) of the JL658A for VSF Link functionality. The 10.07 VSF Guide states that the only ports that are capable of being used for VSF Links are the  uplink ports (page 56):

And in page 8 there is no mention of "uplink" ports but the limitation to use 10G ports as a minimum for VSF Links:

So here comes my concern, can we use the 1-24 ports of the JL658A (using SFP+ XCVRs) to form the VSF stack? From what I undertsood on your reply the answer would be yes, however the documentation tends to create a little bit of confusion in regards to the JL658A model.

Juan Jose Perez Avila

• 4.  RE: 6300M JL658A Create VSF using SFP+ Ports
    Best Answer

MVP GURU
    Posted Jun 01, 2021 05:27 AM
    Hello Juan Jose,

written in that way:

"All uplink ports with 10G, 25G, and 50G speeds can be configured as VSF links"

doesn't mean - in my opinion - that switch uplink ports are the only potential candidates to become VSF Link's members...that statement only says that those ports can be used for that scope, in other terms...those ports shouldn't be the only that can be used to be part of a VSF Link. I mean...saying things that way is not a way to exclude all other SFP+ capable ports in the front plane of the Switch from being potential candidates (provided that they fulfill requirements to do so).

Otherwise the above statement should have been written this way:

"Only uplink ports with 10G, 25G, and 50G speeds can be configured as VSF links"

But, again, one would then ask what make a port an uplink port...are the various speeds it supports (as per the 4 SFP+/SFP28/SFP56 ports) in comparison to what a non-uplink declared ports support (as per the other 24/48 SFP/SFP+ ports)?

Davide Poletto

• 5.  RE: 6300M JL658A Create VSF using SFP+ Ports

Posted Jun 01, 2021 10:39 AM
    Hi Davide,

I agree with you. I think we will give it a shot and try to use the SFP+ ports as VSF Links.

Thanks!

Juan Jose Perez Avila

• 6.  RE: 6300M JL658A Create VSF using SFP+ Ports

MVP GURU
    Posted Jun 01, 2021 11:40 AM
    Yeah, keep us updated! Maybe the reason about the wording used on that statement is to highlight the fact that - technically speaking - VSF Links should be created by using fastest port(s) available on the Switch and such port(s) is(are) generally the one(s) used to setup uplinks (or downlinks) but I see no reason to restrict the usage of all remaining port(s) of the Switch.

Davide Poletto