Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

**HELP! Need help to span a port on an Aruba 3810m switch. Having issues on network need command to troubleshoot please!

This thread has been viewed 18 times
  • 1.  **HELP! Need help to span a port on an Aruba 3810m switch. Having issues on network need command to troubleshoot please!

Posted May 22, 2021 07:09 PM
    Good evening,
       Is there a group of commands that I can perform that will allow me to mirror a port over to another port on the same switch? 

Basically, in the Cisco world the command is the following:

no monitor session 1
    monitor session 1 source inter gi1/1/1
    monitor session 1 destination interface gi1/0/14 encapsulation replicate

Is there similar group of commands on the Aruba 3810m switch?

So, I have a device on the Aruba 3810m switch on port 1/13 that is experiencing issues. I have a sniffer laptop on port 1/16. How does one configure the command on the Aruba 3810m switch to span or mirror the port from port 1/13 over to port 1/16 whereby the sniffer laptop has wireshark???

Not sure if this command is correct below:

3810mAruba(config)#mirror 1 port 1/13  <-  This is the port that I want mirrored.
    3810mAruba(config)# interface 1/16,Trk1 monitor all both mirror 1    <- This is the sniffer port that will Sniff the replicated traffic to the laptp

---Also, not sure what the command "Trk1" means?  Is that necessary? 

Not sure if that is correct? I need both ingress and egress traffic off of port 1/13.   Any advice and or recommendations would be enormously appreciated!   

Thanks in advance! 

Regards,

Wes

------------------------------
    Wes Chang

• 2.  RE: **HELP! Need help to span a port on an Aruba 3810m switch. Having issues on network need command to troubleshoot please!

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 22, 2021 07:28 PM
    in your case you don't need trk = Trunk

3810mAruba(config)#mirror 1 port 1/13   <<<< port 1/13 is where you'll connect your sniffer
    then specify the originating "interface" and either traffic direction or ACL

3810mAruba(config)#interface 1/16 monitor all both mirror 1  <<<< this is the port that you want to monitor.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba.

• 3.  RE: **HELP! Need help to span a port on an Aruba 3810m switch. Having issues on network need command to troubleshoot please!

Posted May 22, 2021 07:49 PM
    Thank you so much!  So, based upon your great recommendation:

1/16 is actually the Sniffer, so if you don't mind I'll change it to port 1/16

3810mAruba(config)#mirror 1 port 1/16   <<<< port 1/16 is where you'll connect your sniffer
    then specify the originating "interface" and either traffic direction or ACL

3810mAruba(config)#interface 1/13 monitor all both mirror 1  <<<< this is the port that you want to monitor.  Port 1/13 is where the access point is connected.

Does it look okay now?   Please advise.  Thanks again so much!

Wes Chang

• 4.  RE: **HELP! Need help to span a port on an Aruba 3810m switch. Having issues on network need command to troubleshoot please!

Posted May 22, 2021 07:57 PM
    I apologize.  One additional thing I forgot to mention.  The originating port to which I am sniffing the traffic (Port 1/13) is actually trunk port.  It is an Access Point.  I stand corrected.  It is actually a trunked port too.  On this trunked port, I have VLANs 601-615 trunked for different wireless SSIDs associated to respective vlans in the trunk..  

So, is it safe to say that the following command:

3810mAruba(config)#mirror 1 port 1/16   <<<< port 1/16 is where you'll connect your sniffer

3810mAruba(config)#interface 1/13 monitor,TRK1 all both mirror 1  <<<< this is the port that you want to monitor.  Port 1/13 is where the access point is connected.

So, I'm assuming that TRK1 means to capture all of the traffic on all of the trunked ports.  Not to make this too complicated, but is there a way to only sniff a single VLAN on the trunk?  Or is that not possible.  

Last but not least, does TRK1 where the "1" means vlan 1 or does it reference the actual session to perform the mirror?   So, would it matter if I call it TRK2, TRK3, or TRK4?

Please advise.  Thanks again!    I really do appreciate it !:)

Regards,

Wes

Wes Chang

• 5.  RE: **HELP! Need help to span a port on an Aruba 3810m switch. Having issues on network need command to troubleshoot please!

Posted May 22, 2021 08:21 PM
    Thanks so much.  BTW, when I tried to replicate the command:
    3810mAruba(config)# interface 1/16,Trk1 monitor all both mirror 1

the Trk1 command didn't work. 

I tried to enter a similar trunk command as shown below but it is not taking:

den-swi001(config)# interface 1/13 ,

Invalid input: ,

den-swi001(config)# interface 1/13 tr

Invalid input: tr

den-swi001(config)# interface 1/13 trk

Invalid input: trk

den-swi001(config)# interface 1/13  

Perhaps I have no choice but to monitor all of the traffic?  I'm assuming "monitor all" is collecting both egress and ingress traffic which appears to be only reasonable command to capture this traffic?  Please see below: 

den-swi001(config)# interface 1/13 monitor

all                   Monitor all traffic.

<cr>

den-swi001(config)# interface 1/13 monitor all

Sorry for any inconvenience for asking so many questions especially on a weekend.  Thanks.

Regards, 
     Wes

Wes Chang

• 6.  RE: **HELP! Need help to span a port on an Aruba 3810m switch. Having issues on network need command to troubleshoot please!

MVP GURU
    Posted May 23, 2021 04:20 AM
    Please forget about approaching ArubaOS-Switch based switch series (as Aruba 3810M is) as-if it's Cisco: in the original HP ProVision operating system (of the well known HP ProCurve era) and its derived & Aruba rebranded Aruba ArubaOS-Switch operating system - also friendly known as AOS-S - the term "trunk" (as used in "Port Trunking") is used to represent a logical interface made of more member physical interfaces...known as "Link Aggregation" (what you call an EtherChannel in Cisco jargon).
    Your "trunked" concept is "tagging" in the AOS-Switch world...or, better, belongs to the "VLAN membership" of a physical/logical port...so forget about the Trk1 (you probably haven't a Trk1 logical interface defined in your Aruba 3810M yet, isn't it?).
    Do instead a show vlan port ethernet 1/13 detail to see how that physical port uses tagging (any tag - no tag or tag - will be reported, if there is an assignment).
    The above to say that what you're really asking is something like: "Is the mirroring of port 1/13 - being that port a tagged member on some VLAN IDs - mirroring them all on the destination port?"