Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: 10 hours ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

install J9852A - HPE X450 4U/7U Universal

This thread has been viewed 27 times
  • 1.  install J9852A - HPE X450 4U/7U Universal

Posted Sep 07, 2021 10:17 AM
    hello,

i don't find enough doc about J9852A - x450 4u/7u rackmount kit for 5412 /5406 switch

is it possible to install this rackmount kit in 800mm x 800mm telco rack?

we have a fully load 5412 to racks and customer is afraid about the weight that could damage the rack if we only use front fixation

------------------------------
    pierre michael zutterling

• 2.  RE: install J9852A - HPE X450 4U/7U Universal
    Best Answer

MVP GURU
    Posted Sep 07, 2021 07:27 PM
    Hi Pierre, try to check recommendations available on the HPE Rail Mounting Kit Installation Instructions for zl2 Switch Series (5998-8367 11/2015), it provides details about the J9852A HPE 4U/7U Universal Rail Kit usage in comparison to the simpler approach with two Rack Mount Brackets (as seen here).

Davide Poletto

• 3.  RE: install J9852A - HPE X450 4U/7U Universal

Posted Sep 08, 2021 05:15 AM
    many thanks for this doc that i didn't found.
    it shows that the space between front fixation and rear fixation cannot vary (lenght of the rail is around 71cm)

so it won't fit the telco rack with around 45 cm between front and rear fixation. (even if the rack is 800mm depth)
    if the customer isn't confident on the solidity of his front fixation of the rack.,i only have a solution to add a shelve

pierre michael zutterling

• 4.  RE: install J9852A - HPE X450 4U/7U Universal

Posted Sep 08, 2021 03:02 AM
    Yes, I have installed them into 800mm HPE racks. The HPE racks are strong, solid racks with thick steel - they didn't need the 4 post kit, but it is just easier. I have done it by myself when there is a lifter available.

Richard Litchfield
    Airheads MVP 2020, 2021

• 5.  RE: install J9852A - HPE X450 4U/7U Universal

MVP GURU
    Posted Sep 08, 2021 04:09 AM
    Don't know about (what) Telco-Rack you're referring to (e.g. how good is its "mechanics") but I've had an hands-on experience after the purchase of a HPE 42U Rack (P9K45A).

At least in our case, considering it was ordered without any particular customization (that I was aware of), we received it as a factory pre-assembled "Server rack" (because it is exactly that, a Server Rack) so its "front line" was very close to the front door (even if the front door is curved enough to the external side to create a little bit of space in comparison to a flat door) at the point that only a small space is left for front cabling positioning and, on the contrary, a plenty of space is available on the rear side (which is totally reasonable if you're going to use it to install just rack servers <- also consider the server's Front-to-Back airflow and the positioning of the entire rack in relationship with Cold/Hot aisles normally present on a DC room).

Before the purchase I asked here but I wasn't able to gather useful insights so we accepted what was proposed and shipped to us.

To summarize about using an HPE 42U Server Rack for Networking equipment, if you're planning to install a Switch ordered with a Front-to-Back airflow (the Aruba 5400R zl2 has Side-to-Back airflow IIRC so it's less prone to positioning issues) and you reasonably desire that the Switch front side stays on the Rack's front side (supposing it matches the Cold side of the room) you have to necessarily move back the four vertical mounting profiles from their default position, backward them for few centimeters in order to create the necessary space for easy cabling placement (the space I'm referring to is between the curved port inner side and the whole plane defined by the two frontal vertical mounting profiles at their position).

I discovered it myself and that, on a pre-assembled HPE 42U Rack born for Servers, was a time consuming work to perform (and, at best, I was able to gain about 15 cm, enough for us)...a lot of screws to unscrew and screw, a lot (IIRC correctly a dozen for each vertical mounting profiles plus various other for removing internal lateral panels for cable management and front isolation panels to keep separated front-cold/rear-hot rack zones).

In any case, we opted for 4 posts kits on our Aruba 8360 switches (which is lighter in comparison to Aruba 5400R zl2 chassis).

Rear doors' drilled metal sheet looks not very "rigid" IMHO (the same could be said about plain lateral doors), at least in comparison to the Front door drilled metal sheet but, in the end, we can survive with that (my comparison term is an IBM Server Rack for IBM Power Systems so, maybe, about the quality of metal works I was used to have high expectations and thus I'm a little bit biased). Vertical PDUs are very nice (hey HPE what's about a LED to signal when their inlet is powered?).

Davide Poletto