Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Set up redundancy management module 6410

This thread has been viewed 33 times
  • 1.  Set up redundancy management module 6410

Posted Feb 11, 2021 12:58 PM
    Hi
    the 2nd module is in place. what needs to be set up so that it can be used for high availability.
    The module is only shown as present in the show module.

SW-6410# redundancy switchover
    Standby Management Module not ready, switchover request ignored

------------------------------
    Dirk Boesang

• 2.  RE: Set up redundancy management module 6410

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 12, 2021 12:58 AM
    there is no special configuration that is needed,  use minimum firmware version of 10.05.00014

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba.

• 3.  RE: Set up redundancy management module 6410

Posted Feb 12, 2021 02:43 AM
    I had to install the version of the first module on the second via USB stick. Unfortunately, I did not get a display on the first card to see the error more quickly. The second card came with 10.04 from HP.

Dirk Boesang

• 4.  RE: Set up redundancy management module 6410

MVP GURU
    Posted Feb 12, 2021 07:15 PM
    Hello Dirk, that's interesting (ArubaOS-CX versions mismatch between MMs).

Anyway I suggest you to use ArubaOS-CX 10.06.0011 on your Aruba 6400 if you aren't yet at that software level.

Did the command show images report anything interesting about the secondary Management Module before your manual update procedure against it?

I mean that the show images is probably (remark: probably) the only available command in order to show the status of the secondary MM from the ArubaOS-CX software version standpoint (to highlight software versions mismatch between Primary MM and Secondary MM, if any) apart from the show modules command that you already tried, command that show the status of management and line modules.

The redundancy switchover command causes the switch to immediately switch over to the Standby Management Module (if a Standby MM is present and it is ready to takeover, I add): it will fail if the Standby Management Module is in a failed state or not present. Cleary, before causing a "controlled failover" (user triggered) - and I add also when an uncontrolled failover is going to occur - the secondary Management Module needs to be already elected as Standby (thus it needs to be in the right software conditions) and needs to be in a ready state otherwise both the controlled and the uncontrolled failover attempts are going to fail.

Probably I'm wrong but I believed that secondary MM will be "paired"/"initialized" in terms of ArubaOS-CX version automatically by the primary and the only initially Active MM (the one running). Isn't it?

Davide Poletto

• 5.  RE: Set up redundancy management module 6410

Posted Feb 15, 2021 04:59 AM
    Hello
    yes I am now on 10.06 on both MMs. When I first start the 2nd MM is immediately started in SVOS mode. The first MM shows this only without SN or version with show modules. The redundancy switchover was not possible.

Dirk Boesang