Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: 14 hours ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

How to route from one VLAN to another

This thread has been viewed 26 times
  • 1.  How to route from one VLAN to another

Posted Jun 16, 2021 11:57 AM
    Hi,

I thought I set up everything correctly, but I cannot ping from one VLAN to another.. any ideas?

I'm currently on a PC that has the Gateway set to the HP Aruba 5412R. This switch has a route which routes to the network I am trying to reach like this:

192.168.126.0/24 Wireless-MGMT 300 connected 1 0

And this is what the 300 VLAN looks like:

vlan 300
    name "Wireless-MGMT"
    untagged A14-A23
    ip address 192.168.126.1 255.255.255.0
    exit

If I already have the route in place, then why can't I ping the Wireless router, on the 192.168.126.125 IP address...? I can successfully ping the VLAN 192.168.126.1, just not this wireless router on that network...

PS. The default Gateway set on the wireless router is: 192.168.126.1

Cheers

• 2.  RE: How to route from one VLAN to another
    Best Answer

MVP GURU
    Posted Jun 16, 2021 01:22 PM
    Hi Shaun! simply...is "ip routing" enabled on your Aruba 5412R zl2 switch?

I'm under impression that you're trying to test pings between hosts belonging to directly connected VLANs (directly connected from the Aruba switch standpoint)...so involved hosts should use their respective VLAN IP address assigned on the Aruba, that is...supposing the Aruba is going to be the router for its VLANs.

If so the only (simple case, common case) static route you will need (with ip routing enabled) is the one for the next hop gateway (route of last resort): 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 via Next Hop Gateway IP address.

------------------------------
    Davide Poletto

• 3.  RE: How to route from one VLAN to another

Posted Jun 16, 2021 04:46 PM
    Hi Davide,

Thank you for the reply. It started working today after I restarted the networking on the WiFi router. I don't see how that made a difference as I had previously rebooted it.. but hey.. it works now!

Cheers for taking a look at my question though :)

• 4.  RE: How to route from one VLAN to another

MVP GURU
    Posted Jun 17, 2021 05:14 AM
    Hi Shaun, glad you solved. Cheers. Davide.

Davide Poletto