Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: 11 hours ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Is Cisco 1000 based SX Transievers compatible with HP 5510 and aruba switches

This thread has been viewed 28 times
  • 1.  Is Cisco 1000 based SX Transievers compatible with HP 5510 and aruba switches

Posted Dec 13, 2020 06:26 AM
    Hello everyone,

Please, is Cisco 1000 based SX Transiever compatible with HP 5510 and aruba switches ?

Best Regard?

------------------------------
    Aghiles DOUICHER

• 2.  RE: Is Cisco 1000 based SX Transievers compatible with HP 5510 and aruba switches

MVP GURU
    Posted Dec 13, 2020 08:21 AM
    What do you mean by compatible ? you want use a transceiver on HP 5510 or Aruba switch ?

PowerArubaSW : Powershell Module to use Aruba Switch API for Vlan, VlanPorts, LACP, LLDP...

PowerArubaCP: Powershell Module to use ClearPass API (create NAD, Guest...)

PowerArubaCX: Powershell Module to use ArubaCX API (get interface/vlan/ports info)..

ACEP / ACMX #107 / ACDX #1281

• 3.  RE: Is Cisco 1000 based SX Transievers compatible with HP 5510 and aruba switches

Posted Dec 13, 2020 08:30 AM
    Hello,

Actually, I want use it on HP 5510

Aghiles DOUICHER

• 4.  RE: Is Cisco 1000 based SX Transievers compatible with HP 5510 and aruba switches

Posted Dec 13, 2020 05:41 PM
    You can get cheap compatible transceivers from fs.com. They're 5,20 or 8,60 euros per transceiver depending on the model not sure which one is correct for 5510. Added bonus is that they show up in tech-support / diagnostics files as HPE transceivers if you are worrying about TAC not supporting you for using 3rd party optics. Haven't had problems with TAC with 3rd party optics but some people seem to be afraid of that.

• 5.  RE: Is Cisco 1000 based SX Transievers compatible with HP 5510 and aruba switches

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Dec 14, 2020 07:52 AM
    From the "ArubaOS-Switch and ArubaOS-CX Transceiver Guide", link (page17).

Its allowed but known using third-party products present these caveats:

1. An unsupported transceiver is used by the customer at their own risk. Acceptance of this liability must be
    confirmed when enabling UT-mode

2. Aruba assumes no liability to ensure the proper operation of a product not designed/designated as
    supported, even from future revisions of ArubaOS-CX firmware.

3. Third-party transceiver products are not under the control of Aruba, so Aruba has no knowledge of
    changes in design and cannot vouch for the quality of the third-party part, nor any assurance that the parts are the same from time to time.

Cisco SFP will properly not working in a HP Comware switch. Look in de 5510 datasheets (link) for what SFP part number you needed and decide to look for that part on F5 if you like. Personally i think it's the best to stay with original SFP's because this things are well tested and Aruba will guaranteed they work perfect. Transceivers are the most important parts to make your infrastructure reliable and are responsible for high performance.

In the end it's your own choice (and responsibility) to choice OEM or Third Party.

Marcel Koedijk | MVP Expert 2020 | ACMP | ACCP | Ekahau ECSE

• 6.  RE: Is Cisco 1000 based SX Transievers compatible with HP 5510 and aruba switches

MVP GURU
    Posted Dec 14, 2020 11:34 AM
    Hi! I second what was written above...in any case neither HPE Aruba (for ArubaOS-Switch or ArubaOS-CX OS based switch series) nor HPE (for Comware OS based switch series) will guarantee anything about 3rd party transceivers. ArubaOS-Switch and ArubaOS-CX OS based switch series have a mechanism/mode to allow unsafesupported third-party-transceivers (with no warranty whatsoever)...HPE Comware OS switch series haven't such of a mode (but warn about phony transceivers at best) and, again, no warranty at all.

There are specific documents about WHAT exact HPE Aruba original Transceivers/DACs options are supported on all the above platforms (have a look at support.hpe.com).

Davide Poletto

• 7.  RE: Is Cisco 1000 based SX Transievers compatible with HP 5510 and aruba switches

Posted Dec 14, 2020 11:49 AM
    Oh come on they are not "unsafe". The command is unsupported, not unsafe. Well OK I'm not sure how great the actual original HPE/Aruba optics are but what we face with fs.com optics is something I would consider normal wear. We have thousands of optics from them but it's not every month we need to replace one. I think currently we're replacing 2530 switches because of broken PSU/fans more often than we're replacing optics :)

Also, never has Aruba TAC denied support for our switches because of 3rd party optics. As TAC takes few days to respond in every case anyways I'd probably have enough time to buy couple originals too if it came to that in a very weird case :)

• 8.  RE: Is Cisco 1000 based SX Transievers compatible with HP 5510 and aruba switches

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Dec 14, 2020 12:09 PM
    We don't say it's not allowed or it will not work, we only say HPE/Aruba don't test them and therefore can't guarantee they work properly or support them. You are free to pioneer yourself.

AFAIK. HPE/Aruba will always offer you support on your switch, even when you use some phony transceivers. But if your request is possible related to a malfunction or bad behavior of an transceiver they will ask to replace them for a certified one for properly do troubleshooting.

Marcel Koedijk | MVP Expert 2020 | ACMP | ACCP | Ekahau ECSE

• 9.  RE: Is Cisco 1000 based SX Transievers compatible with HP 5510 and aruba switches

MVP GURU
    Posted Dec 14, 2020 01:57 PM
    Hi pubjohndoe,

You're correct, I corrected my typo (my memory capacity is falling). Thanks.

Personally - in a production environment (and especially for options that will be installed into high-value Core/Distribution devices) - I prefer to stay on the safe side if I can...even if it means less discount (AKA more costs for assets)...in case of trouble there is a well known RMA procedure (we register any options on ASP so it's really fast once a ticket is opened)...and, to be honest, HPE Aruba Support answered always in less than 24 working hours and sometime faster than that (this is my experience) so, at least for me, there is no real deal in moving between non-original and original Transceivers in case of HPE Aruba support queries what is installed and what's not.

This doesn't mean that one can't use/try what is available.

Just my 2cents.

Davide Poletto