Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Differences in SNMPv3 user groups

This thread has been viewed 16 times
  • 1.  Differences in SNMPv3 user groups

Posted Jan 22, 2021 05:46 PM
    I'm looking for more information about the differences between the SNMPv3 user groups on Aruba switches.  When I type out "(config)# snmpv3 group ?" I get this output:

managerpriv Require privacy and authentication, can access all objects.
    managerauth Require authentication, can access all objects.
    operatorauth Requires authentication, limited access to objects.
    operatornoauth No authentication required, limited access to objects.
    commanagerrw Community with manager and unrestricted write access.
    commanagerr Community with manager and restricted write access.
    comoperatorrw Community with operator and unrestricted write access.
    comoperatorr Community with operator and restricted write access.

Could someone expand on the descriptions above?  I've tried finding more information via Internet searches, but all I find is the info above.  In my organization for example, I'd like to setup a single user as "read-only."  Would "operatorauth" be the most secure way of accomplishing this?  Why doesn't that group use privacy as well?

• 2.  RE: Differences in SNMPv3 user groups

Posted Jan 24, 2021 02:45 AM
    Hello,
    Did you enable SNMPV3 on your Switch? For what i see it's seems to be a right issue. Maybe this link can help you :
    https://community.arubanetworks.com/blogs/esupport1/2018/06/22/how-to-configure-an-arubaos-switch-to-use-snmp-version-3

------------------------------
    maxime FUHRMANN

• 3.  RE: Differences in SNMPv3 user groups
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 25, 2021 06:33 PM
    I spoke with an Aruba support rep regarding this and it sounds like the only way to get the messages encrypted in SNMPv3 is via the "managerpriv" group.  Unfortunately that seems to also give full read/write access to the switch.  It's kinda disappointing to find this out.

Shane Toumey