Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: an hour ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Configure ION 1930 to bond 2 separate wan connections to office

This thread has been viewed 18 times
  • 1.  Configure ION 1930 to bond 2 separate wan connections to office

Posted May 05, 2021 11:53 AM
    I'm a newcomer to the ION 1930 line.  I have two separate wan connections from 2 cable modems.
    Is there a way to use the 1930 to "bond" these connections for increase bandwidth.  
    At this point, I'm not interested in failover or load balance, unless that is my only option.
    Thanks is advance.

------------------------------
    Paul Leo

• 2.  RE: Configure ION 1930 to bond 2 separate wan connections to office

MVP GURU
    Posted May 05, 2021 02:46 PM
    Unless you have another L3 device capable of load balancing the traffic out the two separate connections, you wont be able to "bond them".  I believe your limited to static routing on the 1930 series. You can have a default static route, and a backup default static route.

Dustin Burns

If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos

• 3.  RE: Configure ION 1930 to bond 2 separate wan connections to office

Posted May 05, 2021 03:05 PM
    Thanks, that helps.

• 4.  RE: Configure ION 1930 to bond 2 separate wan connections to office

MVP GURU
    Posted May 05, 2021 02:52 PM
    Hi! what is your meaning of the word "bond" if you're excluding typical bonding's features like (egressing traffic) "load balancing" and (link) "failover"?

The point is that - generally - such "load balancing" feature especially on WAN facing Ethernet links is easily provided by a dual (or multi) WAN Firewall: on a dual WAN Firewall you can concurrently use both WAN links and the Firewall could implement Round Robin or a Weighing methods to distribute (egressing) traffic.

IMHO you need a dual WAN Firewall between your ISP's Modems/Routers and your "internal" routed/switched networks.

I could be wrong but I don't see similar capabilities on a Switch, no matter it is an Aruba 1930.

• 5.  RE: Configure ION 1930 to bond 2 separate wan connections to office

Posted May 05, 2021 03:08 PM
    I’m sorry I was not more clear. I think “bonding” would include load balancing and link failover. I’m a small office, so was wondering what I needed. I do have Synology 2600AC wireless failover, but I don’t think it has capability to load balance. I’ll review and also research your suggestions.

Thanks again.

• 6.  RE: Configure ION 1930 to bond 2 separate wan connections to office

Posted May 05, 2021 04:55 PM
    PPS - Just a quick note. I read the documentation on the Synology RT2600ac router a little more closely and it seems to say that you may designate a LAN port as a second WAN port for load balancing of failover configuration, as well as access for 3G/4G dongles.

Thanks for responding. Appreciate it!

• 7.  RE: Configure ION 1930 to bond 2 separate wan connections to office

MVP GURU
    Posted May 05, 2021 05:33 PM
    Hi, for sure the Synology RT2600ac will let you do that: from the Datasheet "RT2600ac is also capable of Dual WAN load balancing plus failover support. Coupled with a different ISP, you can ensure reliable internet connectivity should one provider or cable fail." ...so not only a 3G/4G dongle can be designated as a failover WAN link but also you can manage two Ethernet WAN links to concurrently use different ISPs' connectivity (Blue Eth WAN port + first Yellow Eth LAN port - reconfigured as secondary WAN - near the blue one).

Davide Poletto