Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Voice VLAN Configuration on Aruba CX Series

This thread has been viewed 83 times
  • 1.  Voice VLAN Configuration on Aruba CX Series

Posted Dec 14, 2021 09:25 PM
    Dear All,

I have a 3 tier topology ( Access, Distri and Core). Access to Core is layer 2. Core configured as Gateway for some vlan, as follow:

I want to implement voice vlan. for example vlan 10 as voice. According to the configuration guide, for voice vlan we state "voice" on vlan configuration. The question is. does it have to be state "voice" on the vlan on the distribution switch and Core as the gateway for the vlan?

Thanks and Regards,

Gibs

------------------------------
    Luthfi Naufal Gibrani

• 2.  RE: Voice VLAN Configuration on Aruba CX Series

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 14, 2021 10:34 PM
    You need to configure voice under a VLAN for your the switches where you physically connect your IP Phones
    so if you connect your IP Phones to access switches (which is normally the case) then you need to state voice only on those switches.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba.

• 3.  RE: Voice VLAN Configuration on Aruba CX Series

Posted Dec 15, 2021 01:31 AM
    Dear Ariyap,

Do you mean that the core and distribution are not in the "Voice" state in the vlan configuration?

it is true that Phones will be connected on the Access Switch. so we will configure on the access switch as follows:
    Switch(config)# vlan 10
    Switch(config-vlan-10)# voice

This is example for Voice VLAN=10 and Data VLAN=30 on access switch interface , as follows
    interface 1/1/3
    no shutdown
    no routing
    vlan trunk native 30
    vlan trunk allowed 10,30

Do i have to configure (Command Bellow) on distribution and Core Switch or only on the access switch?
    Switch(config)# vlan 10
    Switch(config-vlan-10)# voice

Thanks and Regards

Luthfi Naufal Gibrani

• 4.  RE: Voice VLAN Configuration on Aruba CX Series

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 15, 2021 02:51 AM
    You do need to have the VLAN 10 in your core/agg  but you don't need to specify it as voice as no IP Phone devices will be directly connecting to Core/agg

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba.

• 5.  RE: Voice VLAN Configuration on Aruba CX Series

MVP GURU
    Posted Dec 15, 2021 03:05 AM
    Hello, I've the suspect that "voice" option should be configured within the VLAN 10 context on each switch involved with VLAN 10 existence (particularly on Core where IP routing of that VLAN it is supposed to happen)...maybe I'm wrong so I expect someone give an explanation why doing/not-doing that.

Davide Poletto

• 6.  RE: Voice VLAN Configuration on Aruba CX Series

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 17, 2021 07:39 AM
    AFAIK the "voice" option in a VLAN is used to communicate with the IP Phone when the Phone sends  voice-vlan query during it's initial boot.
    particularly the older Cisco IP Phones
    https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/AOS-CX/10.09/HTML/fundamentals_6300-6400/Content/Chp_Dev_disc/cdp-sup.htm