Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Advice for switch choice

This thread has been viewed 21 times
  • 1.  Advice for switch choice

Posted May 10, 2021 10:33 AM

Hello everybody!

I try to give you a summary of what I should do and the advice I would like to receive ... :)

I have to choose the new switches for the new corporate offices.

We have 3 floors, on each floor there is a "floor" rack with 64 ethernet ports cat6.

I was thinking of installing 2 switches per floor 48 + 24 POE and i was thinking the JL256A + JL261A.

I would like to connect these switches with some optical fiber to the server room, the distance is short, do you think single mode optical fiber is fine anyway? at the moment i don't have multimode fiber.

In the server room there are 3 HPE servers with 10gbe dual port network cards, which switches do you recommend to install in the server room to connect the fibers coming from the floor switches? 

I would also like to implement wifi with bluetooth localization functions for both objects and people ... which access point do you recommend? what software licenses do i need to run aruba management software? airwave and others ...

forgive me but I have not found much info about it.

------------------------------
    Filippo Biagini

• 2.  RE: Advice for switch choice

MVP GURU
    Posted May 12, 2021 06:30 PM
    Hi Filippo, for the "wired" part...supposing your Server Room is far less than 300 meters from the farthest floor then multiple runs of MM (Multi Mode) Fiber Optic Cables - say OM3 or better OM4 - paired with Short Range (<300m) 1G SFP or 10G SFP+ Transceivers at  both ends should be enough (really enough) to give your topology a good shape.

You could then create three independent VSF Stacks used for "access" at edge, each one made of one JL256A and one JL261A (one VSF Stack on each floor Rack) and then uplink each VSF Stack by using aggregated links (2x10Gbps SFP+) directly to the Server Room...so you need 6 runs of Fiber Optic cables to your Server Room...clearly on the Server Room you will need another "distribution" Switch (the center of your star topology) that will be also used to connect to your Server infrastructure and gateway(s).

Davide Poletto