Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Fanless 20 port PoE requirement

This thread has been viewed 30 times
  • 1.  Fanless 20 port PoE requirement

Posted Dec 17, 2020 08:56 AM

Good day community,

I require for an RFP a switch in stand-alone configuration which fulfils the following requirements:

S.1.21 Switches sind vollständig ins Management-System des restlichen Netzwerks integriert

S.1.22 Switches verfügen über mindestens 20 Frontend-Ports

S.1.23 Die Kupfer-Anschlüsse der Switches entsprechen der Kat. 6a

S.1.24 Der Switch kann in eine Hohldecke montiert werden

S.1.25 Der Switch verfügt über eine redundante 230 Volt Einspeisung

S.1.26 Der Switch wird redundant mit mindestens 2 Faser-Paaren über Single-Mode-LWL mit dem Etagenverteiler verbunden (Gebäudeverkabelung erfolgt bauseitig)

S.1.27 Der Switch ist lüfterlos

M.1.8 Der Switch unterstützt PoE+ auf allen Ethernet-Ports

Any ideas?

Thank you.

------------------------------
    Paul Wade

• 2.  RE: Fanless 20 port PoE requirement

Posted Dec 17, 2020 09:45 AM

Hello Paul,

My answer won't help you much further, but I very much doubt such a switch has been invented yet. At least not in the Aruba portfolio I know of. There are several points that are contradictory from my perspective. You want the switch to be fanless (S.1.27), but able to power at least 20 ports (S.1.22) with PoE+ (M.1.8). If you calculate 20 ports x 30 Watt = 600 Watt power (without including the management of the switch or the power needed to send/receive data). That's a lot of heat that needs to be dissipated. I can't see that happening without a fan.

I think your best bet is in industrial switches, but those usually have fewer ports and rarely have a reduntant power supply. If you find it I do am curious though, so let us know. :-)

Kind regards,

Niels Mejan

University of Twente

Niels Mejan

• 3.  RE: Fanless 20 port PoE requirement

MVP GURU
    Posted Dec 17, 2020 10:15 AM

Hi! I believe requirement S.1.27 (a Fan less switch) is in clear contrast with (at least) requirement M.1.8 PoE+ (and, potentially, also with S.1.25). They means nothing...as most of other RFP lines listed above. 

Never saw a PoE+ capable switch being also Fan less. Really (Probably industrial...but with very very limited number of ports, as written above, and the reason is "heat dissipation" when on load).

Other requirements look silly (S.1.22 24 Ethernet ports aren't enough? OK...what else? S.1.23 Cat.6A means 10G Base-T or what? OK let we suppose they are speaking about 10G Base-T...next? S.1.26 SFP/SFP+ interfaces for redundancy uplinks to distribution layer with use of SM or MM Optical Transceivers ? OK...easy...any other silly requirement? S.1.21 what Management System? should we guess the NMS too? come on...wake up!). 

Davide Poletto

• 4.  RE: Fanless 20 port PoE requirement

Posted Dec 17, 2020 10:57 AM

Gentlemen,

The Cisco 4010 Switch fulfils all of the criteria listed.

For this rather large Wired/Wireless/NAC/Management/SDN RFP we want to go with an Aruba solution as far as we can. Ruckus, Extreme and Juniper are all in the running too for various parts of the overall solution. I simply want to do fulfil as much as I can with Aruba..

Thank you though for your input.

KR.

Paul

• 5.  RE: Fanless 20 port PoE requirement

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Dec 17, 2020 06:21 PM

Hi Nelis,

HP/Aruba don't have switches that are fanless combined with power redundancy. Closed nearby is maybe a VSF stack of two Aruba 2930F 12p 2SFP+ POE+, fanless,full managed, but no power redundant per unit.

Agree with Paul the Cisco 4010 seems to be have a nice solution.   

Marcel Koedijk | MVP Expert 2020 | ACMP | ACCP | Ekahau ECSE

• 6.  RE: Fanless 20 port PoE requirement

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 18, 2020 04:52 AM

It looks to me that the specs for the RFP are taken directly from the datasheet of this specific switch as they pretty much exactly match, basically excluding all competition as this is a pretty niche product.

I think you can have a look at the wider RFP if it makes sense in this case to have these switches, and if it is not you could go back to the requestor and discuss this as it may be against the rules if it is government or public sector RFP. I have seen many RFPs being pulled because of these reasons.

You should however think if they express in this way that they really want to have this specific product or vendor, what your chances are. It could however be that if you miss a minor point on this requirement (again depending on why they are asking, as if an alternative product will just not work in the same environment, the ask may be fair) but deliver an overall much better solution, you may be in a good position anyway.

If this is a larger tender/RFP, please involve your local Aruba sales team as they may be able to help you.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.