Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: 13 hours ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

deny to dumb switches

This thread has been viewed 16 times
  • 1.  deny to dumb switches

Posted May 28, 2021 03:55 PM
    Hi,
    what is best way to deny any of dumb switches like TP-Link being attached to port on A, E or CX series switches without locking port to one specific mac?
    Is there a way to limit number of MAC addresses active on port ?
    Thank you.

------------------------------
    damima

• 2.  RE: deny to dumb switches

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 29, 2021 02:07 PM
    Hi,

I suggest you check page 11 of the wired enforcement guide as it explains the various enforcement options to secure your wired infrastructure. These options are not specific to ClearPass although ClearPass can simplify the deployment. Usually we recommend to go for 802.1x where ever possible and enable less secure options as needed.

Yes, usually you can configure the switch to limit the number of mac addresses per port, but do you really want to do this? Will it be an appropriate and scalable solution from operations point of view?

Ayman Mukaddam

• 3.  RE: deny to dumb switches

Posted May 29, 2021 05:59 PM
    Yes, usually you can configure the switch to limit the number of mac addresses per port, but do you really want to do this? --> Yes, this is what I want but without actually fixing port to just specific mac address. I just want to allow number of mac addresses allowed on port. And it will be only 1 or 2 if I have VoIP phone in configuration. But user won't be able to plug in dumb switch.

damima

• 4.  RE: deny to dumb switches

MVP GURU
    Posted May 29, 2021 06:06 PM
    I believe they will. Users will be able to connect unmanaged switches...the restriction should produce its desired effects when they eventually start to connect on those "dumb" switches more devices than you permit...

Davide Poletto

• 5.  RE: deny to dumb switches

Posted May 29, 2021 06:13 PM
    Any hints how to achieve this on Comware or ArubaOS?

damima