Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution

2530 switch supplicant

This thread has been viewed 12 times
  • 1.  2530 switch supplicant

Posted Jun 22, 2021 11:54 AM
    Hello. I have two 2530 switches setup: SwitchA with ports set as 802.1x authenticators. SwitchB with an uplink port set up as an 802.1x supplicant. When connecting SwitchB to SwitchA, SwitchA successfully authenticates SwitchB. I can see the access approved on the NPS server and traffic flows between the two switches. 

However, the next day I noticed in the logs that the NPS server had been authenticating SwitchB every 30 since I plugged it in. On SwitchB, I ran "show port-access supplicant" which shows the supplicant port was in the "Acquired" state instead of "Authenticated". 

So I connected to SwitchA and did "show port-access authenticator clients" which gave the following output:

Port Client Name MAC Address     IP Address Client Status
    -----  ----------------- -------------------     --------------- --------------------
    19                          0180c2-000003 n/a              Connecting
    19    SwitchB        5065f3-xxxxxx   n/a               Authenticated

I can see SwitchB is authenticated which is why traffic is flowing. But the first entry with the "Connecting" status is what seems to be the problem. The port keeps telling SwitchB to authenticate which is why the NPS server is doing so every 30 seconds. I know that MAC is an IEEE reserved address. Why would an authenticator port treat it as a device that needs authenticated?

------------------------------
    John Puckett
    ------------------------------