Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: 4 hours ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Is the Aruba Instant On 1930 switch a suitable drop-in replacement for an Aruba 2530?

This thread has been viewed 18 times
  • 1.  Is the Aruba Instant On 1930 switch a suitable drop-in replacement for an Aruba 2530?

Posted Sep 08, 2021 11:17 AM
    Hi,

I currently have a home network with 4  Aruba IAP-305 APs, and a Aruba 2530 24-PoE+ Switch (J9779A), which has 100 Mbps ports.

Would I be able to upgrade this network by swapping out the Aruba 2530 24-PoE+ Switch (J9779A) and replacing it with the following switch:
      Aruba Instant On 1930 24-Port Gb Ethernet 24xGE PoE (195W), 4X 1G/10G SFP+, L2+ Smart Switch US Cord (JL683A#ABA)

My understanding is that this swap would work as long as I buy two of these SFP to RJ45
    for the new switch:
      https://www.amazon.com/Procurve-1000BASE-T-Mini-GBIC-Optical-Transceiver/dp/B07PZC4BP5/

Both switches seem to draw 195W and be 1 rack unit in size, AFAICT.

My motivation is that I suspect the wifi performance in our home is currently bottlenecked at the 100 MBps ports on the J9779A switch, and I would like to upgrade the switch to  a JL683A in order to allow the wifi hop to be the bottleneck.

A second question: would the new J9779A switch be compatible with a set of 4 Aruba Instant on AP22 wifi APs?

Thanks!
    Neal

------------------------------
    Neal Cardwell

• 2.  RE: Is the Aruba Instant On 1930 switch a suitable drop-in replacement for an Aruba 2530?

MVP GURU
    Posted Sep 09, 2021 02:12 AM
    Why not to move instead to the Aruba 2530 (with Gigabit ports) or to - albeit more expensive - the Aruba 2540 (it has L3 features, useful if you are going to need them in a near/far future)? I don't know your price point (I presume Aruba Instant On 1930 could be cheaper) but I would consider those two ArubaOS-Switch operating system based switch series as a solid base for any replacement "basic" switch replacement.

Davide Poletto

• 3.  RE: Is the Aruba Instant On 1930 switch a suitable drop-in replacement for an Aruba 2530?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 09, 2021 07:05 AM
    If you are on the Instant On for your APs, I would say the 1930 Instant On switch would be a good pick to have management of switch and AP in the same InstantON App.

Note there is a separate forum for Aruba InstantON.

Why would you put an SFP to RJ45 in? You have 24 RJ45 gigabit ports already. You can use one of those as well... For a 100Mbps switch, I can understand that you want your uplink on gigabit, for a gigabit switch, I don't see the need. If you want to add SFPs, check the Ordering Guide that is available on the InstantON site product page.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 4.  RE: Is the Aruba Instant On 1930 switch a suitable drop-in replacement for an Aruba 2530?

MVP GURU
    Posted Sep 09, 2021 08:20 AM
    Hi Herman, currently the OP owns four Aruba IAP-305 APs and one Aruba 2530 24 PoE+ Switch (J9779A), the latter is the non-Gigabit model. I agree with you that if Aruba IAP-305 APs will be replaced by some Aruba Instant On AP22 APs moving from Aruba 2530 to Aruba Instant On 1930 would be a reasonable idea/choice...but if the OP needs just to "upgrade" its Aruba 2530 from Fast-Ethernet to Gigabit-Ethernet on access ports I personally would suggest him to stay on Gigabit-Ethernet ArubaOS-Switch operating system based switch series (e.g. Aruba 2530 Gigabit models or Aruba 2540 models if L3 features are needed).

Is the OP probably using the two SFP ports on the Aruba 2530 Fast-Ethernet with two RJ45 Copper Transceivers to uplink against - maybe - a Firewall? Port Trunking mode? who knows? ...probably for one for these reason the OP is asking for SFP RJ45 Copper Transceiver supported by the Aruba Instant On 1930 switch, if so moving instead to Aruba 2530/2540 with Gigabit-Ethernet ports he would avoid those two SFP RJ45 Copper Transceivers and he would use normal frontplane ports. My guess.

Davide Poletto