SD-WAN

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Forum to discuss HPE Aruba EdgeConnect SD-WAN and SD-Branch solutions. This includes SD-WAN Orchestration WAN edge network functions - routing, security, zone-based firewall, segmentation and WAN optimization, micro-branch solutions, best practics, and third-party integrations. All things SD-WAN!
Expand all | Collapse all

9004 stuck at Waiting for Controller IP

This thread has been viewed 33 times
  • 1.  9004 stuck at Waiting for Controller IP

Posted Apr 23, 2020 12:27 PM

Got an eval, configured all sorts of things and then got to a point where the config didn't update on the 9004 any more. From 9004 I was able to ping 8.8.8.8 etc but show switches showed something like "update successful, master unreachable". 

At this point would've there been some way to diagnose what went wrong and why the new configs didn't get pushed to the controller?

I rebooted the gateway, but at the boot it got stuck at "Waiting for Controller IP" message. Where it has been the last 24 hours. I only have remote console but can't reboot the gateway for now. Might have to drive down to our lab to do some sort of full reset for the box. Hopefully this is something that doesn't happen all the time in the production?

Anyone had similar issues? I have 8.6.0.2_73853 installed.

• 2.  RE: 9004 stuck at Waiting for Controller IP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 23, 2020 02:51 PM

This 9004 controller is managed from Central? Do you have system-IP configured?

• 3.  RE: 9004 stuck at Waiting for Controller IP

Posted Apr 23, 2020 02:53 PM

Yes it was Central managed and it was working previously. Not sure which config changes broke it so bad it didn't get the updates. I had also system IP configured previously.

• 4.  RE: 9004 stuck at Waiting for Controller IP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 23, 2020 03:21 PM

I think system IP was removed / not pushed for some reason... You might want to go in debug / disaster-recovery mode to check that..

• 5.  RE: 9004 stuck at Waiting for Controller IP

Posted Apr 23, 2020 03:24 PM

System IP was available just before I booted, check with 'show ip int brief' (as I was wondering why it says master unreachable and was wondering if I've lost the IP addresses for some reason). I could also ping the system IP from my computer just fine. Now it's stuck at the System IP boot message so it's not possible to go to any mode. I'll hope to get to the site tomorrow or so and do a full reset for the box, though this is not really convincing.

• 6.  RE: 9004 stuck at Waiting for Controller IP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 23, 2020 03:35 PM

If possible, open a case with TAC to find the root cause.. Update the thread accordingly afterwards..

• 7.  RE: 9004 stuck at Waiting for Controller IP

Posted Jul 18, 2020 05:40 PM

Would there be any update on this issue?

• 8.  RE: 9004 stuck at Waiting for Controller IP

Posted Jul 20, 2020 03:28 AM

Didn't find any real solution with TAC either. Just had to reset the gateway. Hopefully it doesn't happen often in the future.

• 9.  RE: 9004 stuck at Waiting for Controller IP

Posted Jul 20, 2020 05:01 AM

Yes, it would be nice to have more debugging options in this case. I've also managed to get the BGW up again. I've set the cfgfile to the value 'dummy' in cpboot (setting it to default.cfg didn't help). Then the initial provisioning menu came up and the GW also appeared (once) in Central. After upgrading the BGW and reboot it lost connection to Central for some reason. It was not pingeable either. I had to reboot again and remove the dummy cfgfile entry. At that point the BGW booted fine and was connecting to Central.

So, it is working now, but without debugging it's difficult to know why.