Security

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Clearpass - AD Integration - Password Change

This thread has been viewed 35 times
  • 1.  Clearpass - AD Integration - Password Change

Posted Jul 13, 2021 03:52 AM
    Good Day.

I have a Clearpass deployment, where users get authenticated via AD.

AD is set  up where users need to change their passwords every 30 days.

Every time this happens, on a mobile device,  the client needs to forget the network, rejoin and enter the new credentials.

I am convinced this issue lies on the mobile device and not on Clearpass, unless I am missing something somewhere.

Any pointers in the right direction would be appreciated.

------------------------------
    Jaco Janse van Rensburg

• 2.  RE: Clearpass - AD Integration - Password Change

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jul 13, 2021 07:09 AM
    Hi Jaco,

When using WPA2-Enterprise there a different authentication methods, this sound like you use EAP-PEAP MSCHAPv2 (with username/password) authentication. Username and password are saved in your WLAN profile (password hashed) on the client device. Therefore you need to forget the wlan profile when the password is changed. Some windows versions (but it depends on the version) will automatic ask for the new password. This is a (windows) operation system issue.

In fact EAP-PEAP MSCHAPv2 is deprecated and can easly lead to leak your AD credentials to hackers.

I would advise to user EAP-TLS certificated based authentication for best security and also will fix the "forget wifi ssid" issue.

If not possible, i would recommend to use EAP-PEAP MSCHAPv2 only with dedicated local user accounts and never AD accounts.

See also this youtube video of Herman for security concerns about MSCHAP. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50fO3j4NgyQ&t=33s

Marcel Koedijk | MVP Guru 2021 | ACEP | ACMP | ACCP | ACDP | Ekahau ECSE | Not an HPE Employee | Opionions are my own

• 3.  RE: Clearpass - AD Integration - Password Change

Posted Jul 13, 2021 09:45 AM
    So, is there no way to circumnavigate the issue without using certificates ?

Jaco Janse van Rensburg

• 4.  RE: Clearpass - AD Integration - Password Change

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jul 13, 2021 11:56 AM
    In Windows 10 Built 1909 the WiFi connection prompts for new login credentials after i change my AD password and reconnect. I think it relay on the windows version you used and the settings in de 802.1x network profile. I see situation where windows is not prompt for a new password login but didnt known in what version it was.

Marcel Koedijk | MVP Guru 2021 | ACEP | ACMP | ACCP | ACDP | Ekahau ECSE | Not an HPE Employee | Opionions are my own

• 5.  RE: Clearpass - AD Integration - Password Change

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 15, 2021 04:37 AM
    That may not be related to the Windows version, but to a new feature in CPPM 6.10: MSCHAP Retry for Wrong Password:

What does this deliver?
    Users are now prompted with the option to attempt to enter their password or change password rather than just being rejected
    Why is this interesting?
    Previous behavior was to just reject the session (also seen in Access Tracker).  Now end users will be allowed to attempt to retry MSCHAP (including PEAP/MSCHAPv2) authentication issues.  Access Tracker will indicate TIMEOUT if transaction is not completed.  Currently only REJECT is indicated.

Nevertheless, get rid of MSCHAPv2 wherever you can.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 6.  RE: Clearpass - AD Integration - Password Change

Posted Jul 13, 2021 05:55 PM
    If you're going to use legacy password-based authentication on unmanaged devices, you should consider all passwords compromised at all times.

Tim C

• 7.  RE: Clearpass - AD Integration - Password Change

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 14, 2021 02:52 PM
    There are multiple methods, depending on your requirements. Certificates are the only secure method, but most important to realize is that there are no secure password methods for WPA2-Enterprise/802.1X as the only security depends on the clients only trusting the server certificate and that is nearly impossible to do on unmanaged devices. For AD clients, or managed clients, enroll a client certificate and workaround all the issues with passwords.

If you really want to use passwords, you could consider using the Guest module in ClearPass to let your users self-sponsor an account for WPA2-Enterprise/802.1X with a longer active password, but the same issue is there that you cannot protect that password from being leaked by the client, unless you manage/control those clients. If you don't have that control, consider the credentials to be leaked and don't allow critical access, for just internet access it may be acceptable.

The best is to reach out to your Aruba partner and discuss the possibilities (and what to avoid) with your partner. It really depends on your requirements what is acceptable secure.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.