Security

View Only
last person joined: 10 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Apple Mac OX 802.1x (Machine + User authentication) and ClearPass

This thread has been viewed 35 times
  • 1.  Apple Mac OX 802.1x (Machine + User authentication) and ClearPass

Posted May 26, 2021 12:34 PM
    Hello Everyone,

In my environment we are about 98% Apple devices which is causing a big headache to make sure we configure them properly. So far I have been able to implement an Apple device profile that contains the SSID and the information on how to get an Active Directory certificate to do TLS connection. So far this option works to make the apple devices connect to the SSID and always have a network connection even while sitting at the log in screen. Also it is required to determine via credentials and Active Directory (approve/deny) to provide the right Tips Role such as Staff vs Student. With the TLS so far I have not been able to figure out how to make the computer to sent the client credentials over to ClearPass to provide the appropriate rights.

The current apple device profile is configured as System, which if we install another apple profile as Log in Window because it contains the same SSID both profiles start to conflict each other. Have you guys been able to implement TLS as "machine authentication" plus user authentication on Apple devices?

Currently the SSID is configured as 802.1x with Active Directory as an authorization source.

My other question will be if I configure Clearpass to be integrated with our MDM solution (Filewave) and receive all the devices database is it possible to do a MAC address authentication for the ones that are own by the company and if they are not company own then continue with the regular process of 802.1x?

I know I mentioned before but please keep in mind that is important to have the machine authentication and the user authentication so we can properly provide the right access as well as being able to have ClearPass send the username to our firewall (Palo Alto).

Thanks to everyone in advance.

• 2.  RE: Apple Mac OX 802.1x (Machine + User authentication) and ClearPass

MVP GURU
    Posted Jun 01, 2021 09:12 AM
    Hi PA20,

No, there is not "Machine Authentication with Apple Device"

------------------------------
    PowerArubaSW : Powershell Module to use Aruba Switch API for Vlan, VlanPorts, LACP, LLDP...

PowerArubaCP: Powershell Module to use ClearPass API (create NAD, Guest...)

PowerArubaCX: Powershell Module to use ArubaCX API (get interface/vlan/ports info)..

ACEP / ACMX #107 / ACDX #1281

• 3.  RE: Apple Mac OX 802.1x (Machine + User authentication) and ClearPass

Posted Jun 01, 2021 09:53 AM
    Hi alagoutte,

Thanks for your reply, with Apple devices what is the best recommended option to configure these devices so we can still have internet access at the login screen and we are able to identify who is using the device? 

-PA

• 4.  RE: Apple Mac OX 802.1x (Machine + User authentication) and ClearPass

Posted Jun 01, 2021 04:12 PM
    You'd have to use legacy authentication with a login window profile, which is not recommended.

Tim C