Security

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

ClearPass Intune Extension - Error getting device list

This thread has been viewed 135 times
  • 1.  ClearPass Intune Extension - Error getting device list

Posted Jan 10, 2021 09:21 PM
    Hi Everyone

I'm reaching out in the hope that someone had a similar experience or might be able to provide me with some insight/guidance so that I can resolve the following issue.

I've followed the Microsoft Intune Integration Guide for ClearPass (v2020-01) several times. I've installed v5 of the Intune extension in Clearpass and it is running. I've also registered the Azure App and granted the appropriate permissions as shown below:

When the Intune extension is attempted to sync I get the following error:

I've recreated second Azure Application and updated the tenantId, clientId and clientSecret but still getting the same error. I can perform a nslookup to login.microsoft.com on ClearPass and it resolves ok, so connectivity seems to be ok. I've also opened a support ticket with Aruba with but were unable to resolve the issue. Any assistance or additional information that can help would be greatly appreciated!

Kind regards,

------------------------------
    Christiaan Rossouw

• 2.  RE: ClearPass Intune Extension - Error getting device list

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 11, 2021 04:20 AM
    The error EHOSTUNREACH indicates that the ClearPass can't reach that IP address. When I check, that IP seems to host graph.windows.net. Also given the interval of only 2 seconds, there seems to be a routing issue or firewall.

Do you still experience these issues? Or was it intermittent and resolved meanwhile?

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 3.  RE: ClearPass Intune Extension - Error getting device list

Posted Jan 11, 2021 06:17 PM
    Hi Herman

Thank you very much for your response. I've watched several of your videos which were very insightful.

I've been getting the EHOSTUNREACH since I've first installed the extension and it is still present. I tried re-installing the extension but that did not help. I suspected that the EHOSTUNREACH means that ClearPass can't reach the IP but the confusing thing is that I can do a nslookup from ClearPass CLI to graph.windows. net and it succeeds. I can also ping Google DNS servers with success.

I want to clarify something regarding the ClearPass Intune extension IP address. Will ClearPass try to access graph.windows.net using the ClearPass IP address or the Intune Extension IP? The Microsoft Intune Integration Guide for ClearPass (v2020-01) states the following:

Changing the "Extensions Network Address" range is only necessary if either the ClearPass MGMT or DATA interface are using an IP address in the extension default range of 172.17.x.x/12, or if ClearPass needs to communicate with some external device in that range.

Any further thoughts or ideas will be highly appreciated!?

Kind regards,

Christiaan Rossouw

• 4.  RE: ClearPass Intune Extension - Error getting device list

Posted Jan 11, 2021 06:32 PM
    Christiaan,

The extension will basically NAT through the MGMT port IP-Address. Do you have 172.17.x.x in your internal network?

Danny Jump
    "Passionate about CPPM"

• 5.  RE: ClearPass Intune Extension - Error getting device list

Posted Jan 11, 2021 06:42 PM
    Hi Danny

Thanks for the reply? I was also under the impression that the Extension IP will NAT through the ClearPass IP but just wanted to confirm as we don't have 172.17.x.x in our internal network.

Christiaan Rossouw

• 6.  RE: ClearPass Intune Extension - Error getting device list

Posted Jan 11, 2021 06:52 PM
    So your in a good place with not having that, that's more if CPPM receives a packet IP=src = 172.17.x.x it wouldn't reply as it would route it locally into the Extension framework. 

Two other Q's;

Do you have any web proxy?
    When starting the extension, is there any logs showing ANYTHING in the firewall from CPPM going to / trying to connect to the 40.x.x.x address??

Danny Jump
    "Passionate about CPPM"

• 7.  RE: ClearPass Intune Extension - Error getting device list

Posted Jan 11, 2021 07:44 PM
    Just to double check if the problem is not extension IP related, I've changed the CPPM Extension IP range to 10.10.172.1/24 and re-installed the Intune extension with IP 10.10.172.23. This did not resolve the issue.

To answer your questions, we do not have a web proxy except the one built into the firewall which is bypassed with a firewall rule I created for this scenario. Also, I can see a lot of traffic from CPPM (10.10.10.23) to 40.x.x.x being allowed through the firewall which seems to be exactly every 30 minutes which is the Intune extension's sync interval. The problem though is that it seems that CPPM is not getting a reply back from 40.126.x.x.

Christiaan Rossouw

• 8.  RE: ClearPass Intune Extension - Error getting device list

Posted Jan 11, 2021 08:15 PM
    OK... one more proxy question to be completely clear on this area..... does CPPM have a CPPM proxy configured, as the extension by default will inherit as environment variables the proxy config {if one is configured} and try to use that address to communicate to anything.

Danny Jump
    "Passionate about CPPM"

• 9.  RE: ClearPass Intune Extension - Error getting device list

Posted Jan 11, 2021 08:41 PM
    Hi Danny

Thanks for involvement to try and get his resolved. There is no proxy configures in CPPM as shown below. I've also tried re-configuring the Intune extension to bypass the proxy when I started debugging which also did not resolve the issue.

We have a CPPM publisher and subscriber but I only installed the Intune extension on the Publisher. Surely this could not could the Intune extension on the publisher to not connect to the required IP?

Christiaan Rossouw

• 10.  RE: ClearPass Intune Extension - Error getting device list

Posted Jan 11, 2021 09:26 PM
    OK, wanted to validate that. Installing only on the PUB is fine.

Danny Jump
    "Passionate about CPPM"

• 11.  RE: ClearPass Intune Extension - Error getting device list

Posted Jan 12, 2021 12:54 PM
    Christiaan,

Can you work with TAC, see if they can do a 'support' session and run this command..... 

172.17.0.2 = IP address of your InTune Extension
    6C88144947A4 = Wifi mac-address

curl http://172.17.0.2/device/info/6C88144947A4

My system returns;

curl http://172.17.0.2/device/info/6C88144947A4

{"Source":"Intune","Intune Last Updated":"2021-01-12 09:48:37","Intune ID":"e44ac315-52f7-4fb0-9459-50cfe1b26679","Intune User ID":"36227ef8-97c0-48b7-afec-3d9f3204b5fc","Intune Device Name":"WYSK-X230","Intune Managed Device Owner Type":"company","Intune Enrolled Date Time":"2020-04-02T20:10:46.9690631Z","Intune Last Sync Date Time":"2020-12-30T19:44:36.7597238Z","Intune Operating System":"Windows","Intune Compliance State":"compliant","Intune Jail Broken":"Unknown","Intune Management Agent":"mdm","Intune OS Version":"10.0.17763.1457","Intune Eas Activated":true,"Intune Eas Device ID":"65C21B37CD11BF43F8FFECE2A89BBB03","Intune Eas Activation Date Time":"2020-04-02T20:11:38.1907571Z","Intune Azure AD Registered":true,"Intune Device Enrollment Type":"userEnrollment","Intune Azure AD Device Id":"470ea3e2-6833-4306-b79f-a5406afbe404","Intune Device Registration State":"registered","Intune Device Category Display Name":"","Intune Is Supervised":false,"Intune Exchange Last Successful Sync Date Time":"0001-01-01T00:00:00Z","Intune Exchange Access State":"none","Intune Exchange Access State Reason":"none","Intune Remote Assistance Session Url":"","Intune Remote Assistance Session Error Details":"","Intune Is Encrypted":false,"Intune User Principal Name":"seel@clearpassrocks.onmicrosoft.com","Intune Model":"2325D83","Intune Manufacturer":"LENOVO","Intune Compliance Grace Period Expiration Date Time":"9999-12-31T23:59:59.9999999Z","Intune Serial Number":"R9YGTAC","Intune User Display Name":"SEEL User","Intune Wi Fi MAC Address":"6C88144947A4","Intune Subscriber Carrier":"","Intune Total Storage Space in Bytes":254697013248,"Intune Free Storage Space in Bytes":196613242880,"Intune Managed Device Name":"SEEL-Win10-demo","Intune Partner Reported Threat State":"unknown"}

HTH

Danny Jump
    "Passionate about CPPM"

• 12.  RE: ClearPass Intune Extension - Error getting device list

Posted Jan 12, 2021 06:32 PM
      |   view attached
    Hi Danny

Thanks for your reply! There is no Wifi interface on our ClearPass server. Which mac should I be using, the mac for the ClearPass ethernet or the mac for the Intune extension interface? I've attached text file with the ClearPass interfaces for your reference. Note that I've changed the Intune Extension IP to 10.10.172.23.

Kind regards,

Christiaan Rossouw

Attachment(s)

• 13.  RE: ClearPass Intune Extension - Error getting device list

Posted Jan 12, 2021 06:56 PM
    Sorry, Yes I know there is no WiFi mac on the CPPM hardware :-)

I was referring to the WiFi mac-address of an endpoint that you have registered in InTune... that's the JSON body response above. Basically the cURL tells the extension to go get the endpoint attributes for that mac-address..... if the API calls from the extension to Intune fail, I'm hoping there might be additional info/messages returned to give us additional insight to your issue......

Danny Jump
    "Passionate about CPPM"

• 14.  RE: ClearPass Intune Extension - Error getting device list

Posted Jan 14, 2021 12:35 AM
    Hi Danny

Just thought I provide you with an update. Running the command you suggested returned the following:

sh-4.2# curl http://10.10.172.23/device/info/98AF65E0CD1F
    {"error":"The endpoint with the MAC Address 98AF65E0CD1F does not have an \"Intune ID\"."}sh-4.2# curl http://10.10.172.23/device/info/98af65e0cd1f

The error is not completely accurate as a device with that mac most definitely exist in Intune. What we found is is that we see that cname records are provided by DNS server (see image below) and ClearPass is reaching to one of the host

However from pcap we see that the extension is unable to establish a sync with the Intune server. In firewall we noticed packets going toward Intune server however no return traffic is seen. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated? I also have a open support case with Aruba.

Christiaan Rossouw

• 15.  RE: ClearPass Intune Extension - Error getting device list

Posted Jan 14, 2021 01:20 AM
    OK, I can shed light on the error messages, it's been a few weeks since this was touched by me and I'm already forgetting some of the low level detail..... the Extension will check the CPPM EndpointDb first to lookup the "Intune Id", it then uses the Id to make a call to Intune to get the endpoint details.

As an example, I changed the Intune Id attribute on an endpoint to an invalid entry {123}....

[arubasupport@cppm-home ~]$ curl http://172.17.0.2/device/info/6C88144947A4
    {"error":"Error looking up device (123) in Intune. Request failed with status code 404"}

Then to simulate your environment, I removed the attribute completely.....

[arubasupport@cppm-home ~]$ curl http://172.17.0.2/device/info/6C88144947A4
    {"error":"The endpoint with the MAC Address 6C88144947A4 does not have an \"Intune ID\"."}

Your in a chicken/egg where you can't sync to get the data, you could for a test enter the data manually but I suspect there is still something rogue going on in your environment that is stopping this working.

Couple of random thoughts.....

If using DNS caching on CPPM, try disabling and restarting DNS service
    After the firewall in terms of return traffic, do you have an ADC BEFORE the firewall?

Danny Jump
    "Passionate about CPPM"