Security

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Mobility Master Policy Deployment Failure

This thread has been viewed 23 times
  • 1.  Mobility Master Policy Deployment Failure

Posted Apr 15, 2021 12:07 PM
    I have been hitting an error for a few weeks now and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I just built a new policy for a tunneled node role. It's got 22 rules in it. I built it with 16 rules initially and deployed to the controllers. No issue. I then added 6 more rules and now 10 of the 12 controllers are failing to deploy. Then when I remove the 6 I added, I still have the same errors in the deployment status.

The error I receive is 

Process: Authentication
    Command: alias <alias name> user <service alias> permit log
    Message: Can't add policy to ACL '<policy name>', needs 8 hits indicies, have only 5 hits indices.

The hits index numbers are different on some controllers too. Sometimes it's a different command as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

------------------------------
    Grant Hays

• 2.  RE: Mobility Master Policy Deployment Failure

MVP GURU
    Posted Apr 27, 2021 06:41 AM
    Hi Grant,

Do you have found a solution ? i think need to open a case on TAC (What MM release ?)

PowerArubaSW : Powershell Module to use Aruba Switch API for Vlan, VlanPorts, LACP, LLDP...

PowerArubaCP: Powershell Module to use ClearPass API (create NAD, Guest...)

PowerArubaCX: Powershell Module to use ArubaCX API (get interface/vlan/ports info)..

ACEP / ACMX #107 / ACDX #1281

• 3.  RE: Mobility Master Policy Deployment Failure

Posted Apr 27, 2021 09:26 AM
    Hey Alexis, I opened a TAC case as well. It may be worth it just to have them explain it to you better. Basically, every netdestination (source, destination, service) you use in an ACL is added to the total list of hit-indices. The way the TAC explained it to me is that it's (number of sources) * (number of destinations) * (number of services) in a single ACL will then be added together for the Mobility Devices.

so if you have

Source: 10.1.0.0/16 and 10.2.0.0/16 = 2 netdestinations
    Dest: 10.3.0.0/16 = 1 netdestination
    Services: 22, 80, 443 = 3 net destinations

So this ACL would have 2 * 1 * 3 = 6 hit-indices which are added to the total. The limit on hit-indices for a mobility device is 8,192.

I was getting very granular with my rules. Lots of individual IPs in lots of different ACLs and I am hitting this limit. I don't currently have a solution around it.

I have been told that in a version of code that just came out (you'll have to excuse my ignorance on code versions, I'm new to this. I think it's 6.8.8?) The hit-indices will be 0 by default and you can turn them on with a debug command per ACL for troubleshooting.

Unfortunately, we have a very large environment and won't be using this code until it becomes the conservative version which won't be for a very long time.

We also have an third party Aruba engineer working on a solution that pushes the ACLs down from Clearpass, instead of making them on the Mobility Master. He thinks this will not use the hit-indices limit, but we haven't tested it yet.

I hope this helps.

Grant Hays

• 4.  RE: Mobility Master Policy Deployment Failure

MVP GURU
    Posted Apr 27, 2021 03:59 PM
    Hi Grant,

Thanks for feedback,

Ok you get ACL limit, what the controller model ? i think, you will get the same issue wih download user role...

PowerArubaSW : Powershell Module to use Aruba Switch API for Vlan, VlanPorts, LACP, LLDP...

PowerArubaCP: Powershell Module to use ClearPass API (create NAD, Guest...)

PowerArubaCX: Powershell Module to use ArubaCX API (get interface/vlan/ports info)..

ACEP / ACMX #107 / ACDX #1281

• 5.  RE: Mobility Master Policy Deployment Failure

Posted Apr 27, 2021 06:02 PM
    I had the networking team get the information for me. I really only do the policies/ACLs.

We have 7240XM with code version 8.5.0.11. And TAC said the hit-indices would be zero by default in 8.8

You think download user role in CPPM will have the same limit? I'm not sure what we're going to do until 8.8 is the conservative version. We have a lot of ACLs to make in the near future.

Grant Hays