Security

View Only
last person joined: an hour ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Slow VIA VPN download speeds

This thread has been viewed 35 times
  • 1.  Slow VIA VPN download speeds

Posted Mar 03, 2021 12:45 PM
    I'm getting only around 30-40% of my availabe bandwidth when using VIA VPN client. Without VPN, and with 303H/505H connected to the exactly same VPNC I can get dowload speeds of around 10MB/s from my lab HTTP server. But with VIA VPN client only around 3-4MB/s.

IAP connection is also within a tunnel but still performs a lot better. And VPN overhead shouldn't be 60-70% :)

Any thoughts? TAC has been working with this for a month or so and they keep asking for new debug files but no progress so far. So maybe someone else has the same issues?

VNPNC is Central managed 7210 with 8.6.0.4, client is the newest one at least the one that was newest few weeks ago (finally working domain pre-connect in this version...)

• 2.  RE: Slow VIA VPN download speeds

MVP GURU
    Posted Mar 03, 2021 12:51 PM
    No bandwidth contracts/limiting on the role you get through VIA?

------------------------------
    Dustin Burns

• 3.  RE: Slow VIA VPN download speeds

Posted Mar 03, 2021 12:58 PM
    Nope, only things I've configured for the role are VIA connection profile, L2TP pool and then i've added basic allowall session policy. Bandwidth policies are not configured

• 4.  RE: Slow VIA VPN download speeds

Posted Apr 19, 2021 12:59 PM
    Hello, any news about what you report? I have exactly the same problem.

Cristobal Pastene

• 5.  RE: Slow VIA VPN download speeds

Posted Apr 19, 2021 12:59 PM
    Hello, any news about what you report? I have exactly the same problem.

Cristobal Pastene

• 6.  RE: Slow VIA VPN download speeds

Posted Apr 19, 2021 04:20 PM
    Nope, I've had TAC case open since I asked it here. TAC just tries to get me to gather all kinds of logs and packet captures but doesn't seem they have much idea what to actually try. VIA client has updated at least once since opening the ticket so it was a new opportunity to get all the previous logs again :) Now I'm supposed to get packet captures but not really sure what is the point in that either...

Seems there has been internally some issues with multicast traffic, as TAC could see 2 packets in a minute capture or something then we had to enable multicast optimizations. I've had the same thing with other tickets too.

From what I can remember we've also tried changing MTU and probably rebootin everything and trying with other device. We haven't tried touching different algorithms on the VPN tunnel itself.

One reason why it takes so long to  solve issues like these is that TAC responds 1 minute before their shift ends and no matter how fast I reply I get out of office messages. Then in 1-2 days I'll get "thank you for the logs let me get back to you by the end of business day tomorrow or day after". And then again the next reply comes 1 minute before changing shifts...

• 7.  RE: Slow VIA VPN download speeds

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 26, 2021 06:36 AM
    That experience with TAC is not what it should be. Please escalate your case immediately if you happening what you describe and copy in your Aruba SE so he/she is aware. Also, when working with TAC be aware that they work in shifts as well to follow the different regions. Normally, your case should be allocated to the TAC shift that best covers your local time. For some customers that have a headquarters in a different timezone, it may be good to verify that you are handled in the right timezone and ask to get your case allocated in a different timezone if that works better for you.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 8.  RE: Slow VIA VPN download speeds

Posted Apr 26, 2021 06:44 AM
    For us this is the standard experience and we usually try to escalate within TAC + to our SE. I've used at least two different TACs as I've opened tickets in the usualy business hours and then at for example 23:00 local time here :)

Time zones are not very relevant to the issue where TAC usually sends follow up questions by earlies 1 minute before their shift end, many times I've received questions 5mins past their shift has ended so I end up getting out of office message.