View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Expand all | Collapse all

HPE 5900 Comware upgrade

Jump to Best Answer
This thread has been viewed 44 times
  • 1.  HPE 5900 Comware upgrade

Posted Nov 30, 2021 09:41 AM
    We have three HPE5900 AF switches that need to be updated to R2609 or later.

Two are in a IRF stack and are running
    HPE Comware Software, Version 7.1.045, Release 2422P01

The other is a standalone and is running
    HPE Comware Software, Version 7.1.045, Release 2432P01

Can someone point me to the software and a complete set of documentation on upgrade instructions. Also has anyone run into any issues doing this or the amount of downtime I can expect to encounter for each upgrade?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

------------------------------
    Eric Hutchinson

• 2.  RE: HPE 5900 Comware upgrade

Posted Nov 30, 2021 10:07 AM
    Hi Eric!

If we speak about upgrade to the latest 2432P06, here is ISSU compatibility table (source: https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=a00047073en_us ):

As you can see 2422P01 -> 2432P06 is not supported with ISSU, so your IRF stack running 2422P01 should be upgraded using "boot-loader" command. The procedure is quite simple - upload the '5900_5920-CMW710-R2432P06.ipe' file extracted from the ZIP archive to the flash: file system (flash drive of the IRF Master) and execute 'boot-loader file flash://5900_5920-CMW710-R2432P06.ipe all main' then save the configuration ('save safely force') and reboot the whole stack ('reboot'). After 7 minutes (roughly) you will have your stack up and runnning the latest s/w. Secondary IRF member may reboot once again when join the stack, so take that into account - 6-7 minutes until first IRF slot comes up, then another 6 until secondary IRF joins the stack.

For details check the Fundamentals guide here - https://internal.support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=a00037014en_us , Page 102. You need to go with option named "Specifying startup images and completing the upgrade". Skip the bootrom upgrade section, if there is a need of bootrom upgrade, it will be done automatically on the next boot, so don't bother updating it manually.

For the standalone running 2432P01 use the same procedure, despite the fact 2432P01 -> 2432P06 can be done with ISSU. ISSU is pointless here since it is standalone switch. But you can use 'Warm reboot' way of upgrade (page 105 of the Fundamentals Guide), but I've never tried it by myself, so don't have any experience with it.

Ivan Bondar

• 3.  RE: HPE 5900 Comware upgrade

Posted Nov 30, 2021 10:27 AM
    Ivan,

Thanks for the quick response, two things

1.) In my original message I said I need to go to R2609 or later. Will I be able to go to that release directly from my current release?
    2.) Where can I find the software?

Thanks again

Eric Hutchinson

• 4.  RE: HPE 5900 Comware upgrade

Posted Nov 30, 2021 10:34 AM
    Sorry, Eric, I've overlooked that request about '26xx', but the thing is there is no such version for 5900 or 5900AF. At least official repository https://h10145.www1.hpe.com/downloads/SoftwareReleases.aspx?ProductNumber=JG510A doesn't have it. The latest is 2432P06.

Ivan Bondar

• 5.  RE: HPE 5900 Comware upgrade

Posted Nov 30, 2021 11:20 AM

Ivan,

Thanks for the info. I feel I need to tell you "why" I was asking about the upgrade info. 

We are in the middle of deploying a new SAN at my organization. Part of the SAN includes (2) Dell S5212F0 switches. I was trying to build a bridged-aggregate interface using two ports on each of my two 5900 AF switches. Each of the two ports in the Bridge Aggregate interface would connect to one of the ports on each Dell switch.using custom made DAC cables. When we connect the the core using the bridged aggregate ports to the two Dell switches one of the two ports show "Current state: UP" and "Line protocol state: UP". The other port in the Bridged-Agg says "Line protocol state: UP" and "Line protocol state: Down(LAGG)". I was trying my best to fix this by redoing both interfaces, redoing the bridged agg, etc.etc. No matter what I do I cannot make this other port show up as "Line protocol state: UP".

I am sorry I did give you any context to my request. We had found an HPE support article for a "HP5940 AF" that said to upgrade to R2609 or later to fix this issue. Do you have any ideas on the first thing I should have asked :)

Thanks

Eric Hutchinson

• 6.  RE: HPE 5900 Comware upgrade

Posted Nov 30, 2021 11:30 AM
    Hello Eric,

5900 and 5940 are different series of switches and have different software versions.
    What is the "Jxxxx" number of your switch model.
    5900 latest software version is R2432P06, while for 5940 is R2702P01.
    In regards to the issue please check what are the settings for the aggregation - are you using LACP?

-Alex-

• 7.  RE: HPE 5900 Comware upgrade

Posted Nov 30, 2021 11:41 AM
    JC772A

"Aggregate Interface: Bridge-Aggregation30
    Aggregation Mode: Dynamic
    Loadsharing Type: Shar
    Management VLAN : None
    System ID: 0x8000, 2c23-3a3b-1060
    Local:
    Port Status Priority Oper-Key Flag
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    XGE1/0/40 S 32768 9 {ACDEFG}
    XGE1/0/41 U 32768 9 {ACG}
    Remote:
    Actor Partner Priority Oper-Key SystemID Flag
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    XGE1/0/40 0 32768 0 0x8000, 0000-0000-0000 {DEF}
    XGE1/0/41 0 32768 0 0x8000, 0000-0000-0000 {DEF}"

Eric Hutchinson

• 8.  RE: HPE 5900 Comware upgrade

Posted Nov 30, 2021 11:41 AM

I see. Just FYI, Comware 7 version numeration can be tricky - sometimes 2609 for one platform is older and has less features than 2432 for another platform. Or 2609 for one model is not the same as 2609 for another model. In other words in Comware world there is no 'single image' paradigm many other vendors brag about :) 

"Line protocol state: Down(LAGG)" means that local physical port's properties or flags that it's got from its peer are different from the properties or flags first port have. The issue can be either in LACP protocol or in cables, since you mentioned 'custom-made DACs'. In order to understand what issue has been resolved in 2609 for 5940 concerning aggregated links, could you send me the link to that document?

TBH there is one thing that 'bothers' me in the network topology you are trying to build. You say "I was trying to build a bridged-aggregate interface using two ports on each of my two 5900 AF switches." Those 5900AF, are they in IRF?
    Another thing - "Each of the two ports in the Bridge Aggregate interface would connect to one of the ports on each Dell switch". Even if 5900AF switches are in IRF (which means they both look like single physical device to neighboring hosts), what about those two Dell switches? Do they form a stack? If they don't, do they have any kind of MLAG to present themselves to the 5900AF IRF as one single LACP peer? For now it looks like two Dell switches work independently and present themselves with different SystemIDs to 5900 stack, therefore LACP process thinks it's a wiring error and doesn't allow second port to join the BAGG. In order this setup to work you need to make both Dell switches to present themselves with one common LACP SystemID to our stack, Dell calls this technology 'MLAG'.

It will help if you post an output of 'display link-aggregation verbose' in particular its section concerning that non-working BAGG. Then I will tell you for sure if my assumption about lack of MLAG on Dell's side is correct.

Ivan Bondar

• 9.  RE: HPE 5900 Comware upgrade

Posted Nov 30, 2021 11:45 AM
    Sorry Ivan,

Bad choice of words. I am building the Bridged Aggregates on two separate chassis' One of the chassis' happens to be part of an IRF stack.

Eric Hutchinson

• 10.  RE: HPE 5900 Comware upgrade

Posted Nov 30, 2021 11:49 AM
    Ivan,

Here is the link to the support document from HP I mentioned.

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=sf000046414en_us

Eric Hutchinson

• 11.  RE: HPE 5900 Comware upgrade
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 30, 2021 11:59 AM

Ok, now it's clear:

"Aggregate Interface: Bridge-Aggregation30
    Aggregation Mode: Dynamic
    Loadsharing Type: Shar
    Management VLAN : None
    System ID: 0x8000, 2c23-3a3b-1060
    Local:
    Port Status Priority Oper-Key Flag
    XGE1/0/40 S 32768 9 {ACDEFG}
    XGE1/0/41 U 32768 9 {ACG}
    Remote:
    Actor Partner Priority Oper-Key SystemID Flag
    XGE1/0/40 0 32768 0 0x8000, 0000-0000-0000 {DEF}
    XGE1/0/41 0 32768 0 0x8000, 0000-0000-0000 {DEF}

If you look at the 'SystemID' column of Remote section, you will see all zeroes. Those mean that neither of Dell switches sends LACP packets. Otherwise, even if they don't use MLAG, but use LACP each Dell will present itself with some ID, a number often equals to MAC address of the chassis. In your case LACP is not used at all on Dell's side. The reason one port is UP is simple - Comware keeps BAGG reference port (one of the ports in the BAGG which settings are reference for other ports). But it doesn't mean BAGG is operational over that port, it's not. Ten1/0/40 works more like a standalone port at this moment. 

So, two options:
    - If Ten1/0/40 and Ten1/0/41 are connected to one physical Dell switch, then Dell's LAG doesn't use LACP, so you need to enable it there and everything should start working.
    - If Ten1/0/40 and Ten1/0/41 are connected to two physical Dell switches, then check this link https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/common/powerconnect_nx00-usingmlag-whtppr_en-us.pdf Your Dells should form "L2 MLAG Domain" and our 5900AF stack will be on the place of 'Partner swtich':

Ivan Bondar

• 12.  RE: HPE 5900 Comware upgrade

Posted Nov 30, 2021 12:08 PM
    Thanks so much. I will talk to the vendor and get back to you.

Eric Hutchinson

• 13.  RE: HPE 5900 Comware upgrade

Posted Nov 30, 2021 01:09 PM
    Ivan,

Thanks for the help. LACP was enabled on both Dell switches and it is now working.

I appreciate the assist.

Eric Hutchinson

• 14.  RE: HPE 5900 Comware upgrade

Posted Nov 30, 2021 01:58 PM
    You are very welcome, Eric!

Ivan Bondar