Network Management

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions

Find 2.4GHz-only Enterprise devices : Airwave?

This thread has been viewed 20 times
  • 1.  Find 2.4GHz-only Enterprise devices : Airwave?

Posted Mar 12, 2021 03:54 PM
    Hoping an Airwave report might get me towards this, but not really getting how. Higher Ed, so lots of student devices that we don't have much control over. My goal is to determine if any of the devices that connect to our Enterprise networks via 2.4 GHz can only do 2.4, or hopefully, to find that they all have 5GHz capability.

Currently we have two 802.1X SSIDs, eduroam and ECwireless, which our users connect too, as well as a  Guest SSID used for visitors, and also for registered devices that can't join enterprise networks. All three SSIDs are currently dual band, but I'd like to make the enterprise ones 5GHz only, saving the 2.4 band for the devices. Currently about 90% of clients do connect to 5GHz, and the large majority of our 2.4 GHz devices are registered guest devices.

Campus is also currently split between most buildings still on Aruba 6 controllers, and our newest dorm on Aurba 8, with migration of the rest to 8 planned for this summer. Here's the band splits:

Of those 2.4 clients, only about 30 total are connected to our Enterprise SSIDs. And from the device types, a bunch are Macs and iPhones that I know can do 5Ghz connections, but that are apparently connecting to 2.4 when the device is in standby mode. But of the remaining Android, Linux, and Win10 devices, I can't really be sure if they have 5GHz capability.

Is there a way to get a report showing MACs that have only ever connected to my 2.4 enterprise networks, but never via 5GHz?

------------------------------
    Steve Bohrer
    ------------------------------