Network Management

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

SNMP uptime times out when routing enabled

This thread has been viewed 10 times
  • 1.  SNMP uptime times out when routing enabled

Posted Jun 30, 2021 01:21 PM
    I have several 2930Ms that I am monitoring with Nagios.  All the 2930s are configured alike from a single template and then routing and IP interfaces are added to the switches that also serve as routers.  The nagios checks work fine on all the switches without routing enabled (or OSPF or interfaces for each VLAN) but on the switches configured as routers, the command times out. 

I can read uptime, and the uptime OID, using Paessler SNMP Tester on both switches and routers, but Nagios can only read the uptime or the uptime OID on the plain switches.  

Has anybody seen this behavior before?  I can't think of anything that would make the routers behave differently than the switches hanging off the routers.

The switches and routers are all using SNMPV3 with SHA and AES.

check_command check_snmp! -o sysUpTime.0 -P 3 -L authPriv -U snmpV3user -a SHA -A blahblahblah -x AES -X blahblahblah
    check_command check_snmp! -o 1.3.6.1.2.1.1.3.0  -P 3 -L authPriv -U snmpV3user -a SHA -A blahblahblah -x AES -X blahblahblah

Thanks for any help,
    Bill

------------------------------
    -Bill

• 2.  RE: SNMP uptime times out when routing enabled
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 12, 2021 12:27 PM
    I worked with TAC to get this figured out.  The problem seems to occur because the router replies from an unexpected VLAN/IP interface.  If you configure the IP address for replies to come from, it responds as expected.  The config commands are:
    snmp-server response-source <ip address being queried>​

-Bill