Network Management

View Only
last person joined: 6 days ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Edge-switch out-of-memory

This thread has been viewed 22 times
  • 1.  Edge-switch out-of-memory

Posted Oct 29, 2021 09:37 AM
    hi

new to the Aruba world

we have edge-switch (2530) that's out of memory

'sh run' I don't get any config but I do get info for 'sh vlans', 'sh int' etc.  'sh tech' fails with no memory

traffic / connected devices seem to be working, slow but working. 

I was going to reboot the switch but 'sh config' (which I think is bootup config) is not showing anything.  not sure if it's not showing anything because of no free memory or it is blank. 

suspect nothing can be done but worth asking

We have Unifi connected on this switch and not sure of the config for this - so rebooting will bring down wifi production / guest environments - guest wifi being the one the users will shout about :)

I put the Unifi onto a new Aruba core switch but can't get the guest wifi working so had to put it back onto this switch with no memory.
    New guest wifi vlan was created, port untagged to prod vlan and tagged to guest wifi vlan.   I'm used to working with VTP so need to relearn the Aruba way :)  anyway that's another question on another thread

• 2.  RE: Edge-switch out-of-memory

MVP GURU
    Posted Oct 30, 2021 10:20 AM
    Hello Ezio, considering the Aruba 2530 is a Layer 2 switch the out-of-memory should be really something rarely seen. What ArubaOS-Switch software version is it running on?

What's about trying to copy current running configuration to an external destination (a TFTP Server, as example), that's in order to verify if exported configuration is non zero in length and what configuration lines it really contains (it's also a way to backup it).
    What is the output of the show running config status CLI command?
    If the switch is running correctly (IP, VLANs, etc. are OK) and the output of the above command shows you that the running configuration and the startup configuration are the same...then you can infer that actual running configuration should contain something (non default) and the configuration is correct because the switch is behaving as you expect...clearly all the above is true if your Switch is not running "factory default" configuration (which I do not believe).

------------------------------
    Davide Poletto
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Edge-switch out-of-memory

Posted Nov 09, 2021 11:17 AM

thank you for the reply - tftp was so obvious :)

Turned out I was bringing down a remote site for 60sec whilst investigating

anyway got time today to investigate further, not getting any response when connected via console cable but was before.

connect to the switch via ethernet and able to access systems OK - so think it's time --- reboot --- however business won't allow me ?!

I've got another switch which I've setup and will move the ports over tomorrow - less of a down time but need to move the Unifi before I can reboot this switch.

I've setup guest wifi vlan on core and tagged the port that will connect to the Unifi with untagged on vlan 1 - prod network

set IP address on this guest vlan

[core switch]---[edge switch(1)]---[edge switch(2) with AP attached]---[edge switch(3) with AP attached]---[Unifi gateway]

end goal is:

[core switch]---[edge switch(1)]---[edge switch(2) with RF attached]---[edge switch(3) with RF attached]
        |
        |
    [Unifi / guest gateway]

connect laptop on core with ip address of guest wifi and can't ping the Unifi gateway
    setup guest wifi vlan on core and switch(1) / switch(2) and switch(3) already have guest vlan setup

from my understanding this should work as guest vlan is on the core and on switch(3) which has the Unifi
    doing some reading - am I right that the guest vlan tag is being stripped off the packet when going to switch(1) ?

if so, how should this work ?

thanks again

• 4.  RE: Edge-switch out-of-memory

Posted Nov 10, 2021 02:03 PM
    Think I've got it working, turns out the tag was being stripped.
    I tagged the guest vlan to each side of the link ports between switches. Only another 50ish switches to update. 

Cisco world I wouldn't need to update each link whenever a vlan was added so not sure if this is the best method?