Network Management

View Only
last person joined: 5 days ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

How do I change AP locations in VisualRF?

This thread has been viewed 10 times
  • 1.  How do I change AP locations in VisualRF?

Posted Oct 28, 2021 04:22 PM
    I am a network admin, new to Aruba, learning an installed campus network.

My predecessor made a campus map and floor plans of all of the buildings, and these show up in VisualRF with the APs shown in their places.

If I take an AP out, replace an AP with a different AP, move an AP, or put an AP in a new location, VisualRF does not update locations -- merely keeps track of what's up and down for APs that my predecessor put on the floorplans.

Also, in AirWave's AP->Manage section, you can assign a latitude, longitude, & altitude to an AP, but my predecessor did not apparently set any of those. This looks intriguing as I can imagine that if you tell the system the latitude/longitude/altitude of each AP, and also the physical characteristics of each building, then the system would have some pretty powerful information as far as optimizing AP placements. However that's not filled in, so the APs  must appear on floor plans via some manual process that I should be updating -- and I haven't figured out where all that gets set. Can somebody point me to some instructions for how to update the scheme my predecessor implemented?

And what is the story with the latitude/longitude/altitude settings? Is there a better way to do this, where I can assign lat/long/alt settings to corners of my floor plans, and then assign the lat/long/alt to each AP and then keep all THAT up to date? Would the magic that is AirMatch work better that way? Would it be easier?

------------------------------
    Cathy Fasano

• 2.  RE: How do I change AP locations in VisualRF?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 28, 2021 04:38 PM
    You have to move APs manually on the map.  It is not automatic.  If you add an AP, if it is discovered by Airwave it will be in the new list.  You can go to the old (down AP), use the replace hardware button and point it to the new AP in the new device list.  Make sure to add that new AP to the proper group/folder.  You can then go into visualRF and add that new AP to the floor plan.

GPS is not possible/viable for indoor APs, so ignore the longitude/latitude parameters.  It cannot be used in VisualRF for indoor APs, because GPS is typically not visible indoors, and indoor APs do not have a mechanism to report GPS, anyways.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.