Network Management

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Displaying Campus AP LLDP neighbor in Airwave

This thread has been viewed 32 times
  • 1.  Displaying Campus AP LLDP neighbor in Airwave

Posted Nov 24, 2021 04:10 PM
    Hello everyone,

I have a Airwave server running version 8.2.13, and several Mobility Masters/Controllers in version 8.8.0.2.
    I would like to display LLDP neighbor information of each Campus AP in Airwave device monitor. I guess that this information should be in the section Device > monitor > Neighbors, but this section is empty for my Aruba APs. The fields Upstream Device and Upstream Ports are also empty in the device details. Every other fields are populated properly.

But I am also monitoring some Cisco LW APs in Airwave, and in that case their CDP neighbor information is shown correctly

LLDP is globaly activated on all our devices, and the AP's LLDP neighbor information is collected properly on the Mobility Controllers:

show ap lldp neighbors

AP LLDP Neighbors (Updated every 60 seconds)
    --------------------------------------------
    AP Interface Neighbor Chassis Name/ID Port ID Port Desc Mgmt. Address Capabilities
    -- --------- -------- --------------- ------- --------- ------------- ------------
    ap-b26-xxx eth0 0 xxxxxx.hub.priv Gi1/0/47 ap xxxxxx B
    ap-b26-xxx eth0 0 xxxxxx.hub.priv Gi1/0/43 ap xxxxxx B

I am missing some parameters in the mobility master configuration or in airwave configuration ?

Thanks in advance

------------------------------
    Nicolas Ghaye

• 2.  RE: Displaying Campus AP LLDP neighbor in Airwave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 25, 2021 05:43 AM
    Are your switches in Airwave as well?

Do you see the APs as LLDP neighbors from the switch CLI?

What is not 100% clear to me.. does it work for Cisco AP but not for Aruba AP? Or don't you see the topology for any of the APs?

There is a setting for the APs to transmit and to receive LLDP. If you configured receive, but not transmit, you can see the switch port info from the AP, but the switch cannot see the AP info. You may need to enable LLDP transmit, if you haven't yet.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 3.  RE: Displaying Campus AP LLDP neighbor in Airwave

Posted Nov 26, 2021 07:51 AM
    We are using Airwave only for WiFi monitoring/management, and we are currently migrating fro Cisco to Aruba, that explains why we have both vendors currently running. We don't monitor access switches (we have only Cisco switches) in Airwave, and we don't have the licences for it.

It will be more clear with screenshots : With a Cisco AP, I have the neighbors information in the device neighbor section, without any particular configuration :

But with an Aruba Campus AP, this section remains empty :

LLDP transmit and received is enabled on all Cisco switches and Aruba controllers. The switch sees connected APs in LLDP, and the APs sees the connected switch.

Maybe it is some kind of communication issue between the Mobility Master and the Airwave server ? Some missing parameter in amp-default profile for example (but I don't see which one ?)

Nicolas Ghaye