Cloud Managed Networks

View Only
last person joined: 3 days ago 

Forum to discuss all things related to HPE Aruba Networking Central and UXI Network Management, including deployment of managed networks, configuration, best practices, APIs, Cloud Guest, AIOps, Presence Analytics, and other included Applications
Expand all | Collapse all

Onboarding new IAP505 together with old IAPs

This thread has been viewed 13 times
  • 1.  Onboarding new IAP505 together with old IAPs

Posted Apr 08, 2022 08:46 AM
    Dear community,

this is my first post here.

I am managing an SMB network with subsidaries inside aruba central. We have IAPs on many sites (1 per site, many in headquarters) mixing 205H and 303H. All of them are firmware v 6.x.  Headquarter hosts 7005 gateway (os v 6.x) only for centralized VPN.
    We are planning to replace all IAPs with new 505H on arubaOS 8.x

When I plug a 505h on the same network than another v6.x IAP, it remains offline from Aruba Central. Same situation occurs when I have a 505 connected, and I plug a v6.x: the 505 gets disconnected from Central.

Did you encounter such incompatibility?

regards,
    Jayrome

------------------------------
    Jerome Rousset

• 2.  RE: Onboarding new IAP505 together with old IAPs

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Apr 08, 2022 09:23 AM
    When add a access point in the same broadcast domain (vlan) it will automatic join (when enabled) the virtual instant controller. My opionion you should start with a clean  new vlan for the AP-505 to avoid it join the old access point cluster. Make a new group in Aruba Central for AOS8.

Be sure your instant AP's running ArubaOS8 before at them to central, not sure but i believe 6.x isn't supported in central?.

Marcel Koedijk | MVP Expert 2022 | ACEP | ACMP | ACCP | ACDP | Ekahau ECSE | Not an HPE Employee | Opinions are my own

• 3.  RE: Onboarding new IAP505 together with old IAPs

Posted Apr 08, 2022 11:53 AM
    We have seen similar happen when adding a newer AP that does not support the older firmware of the existing cluster.  If you can't update the existing cluster to the minimum firmware supported by the 505s you may have to create a new cluster/VLAN.  I have never done it before, but if it is a single access point you may be able to set it up as a standalone AP to avoid having to create a new VLAN.

-Jim

Jim Greco