Cloud Managed Networks

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss all things related to HPE Aruba Networking Central and UXI Network Management, including deployment of managed networks, configuration, best practices, APIs, Cloud Guest, AIOps, Presence Analytics, and other included Applications
Expand all | Collapse all

RadSec ignores custom certificate

This thread has been viewed 47 times
  • 1.  RadSec ignores custom certificate

Posted Jan 29, 2021 01:41 PM
    Hello everybody,

I need some technical advice from experts here.
    I am trying to configure RadSec tunnel between my group in Aruba Central and radsecproxy.
    To do this I generated selfsigned certificates for CA, Server and client by following the instruction provided for FreeRadius
    https://github.com/FreeRADIUS/freeradius-server/tree/v3.0.x/raddb/certs

In radsecprocy config file I updated the certification section to use my custom CA and server certificate.
    On Aruba Central I uploaded CA (as CA Certificate) and Client Certificate (as Server Certificate)
    Then in my Group->Security->Certificate Usage section I changed the "RadSec Certificate Authority" to be my CA, and
    "RadSec" to be my Client certificate.

Now, when AP connects to radsecproxy I see that it accepts my server certificate (means CA certificate works fine), but then radsecproxy rejects the connection saying

Jan 29 11:35:11 2021: tlsservernew: incoming TLS connection from 192.168.82.127
    Jan 29 11:35:11 2021: verify error: num=20:unable to get local issuer certificate:depth=2:/C=US/O=Aruba Networks/OU=DeviceTrust/OU=Operations/CN=Aruba Networks Trusted Computing Policy CA 2.0
    Jan 29 11:35:11 2021: tlsservernew: SSL accept from 0.0.0.0/0 failed: error:1417C086:SSL routines:tls_process_client_certificate:certificate verify failed
    Jan 29 11:35:11 2021: tlsservernew: SSL_accept failed

I think, based on what it printing about the issuer, the Aruba Central is still using the "default" certificate ignoring the uploaded one.

What I am doing wrong? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

------------------------------
    Alexander Shulgin

• 2.  RE: RadSec ignores custom certificate

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 01, 2021 05:36 AM
      |   view attached
    RadSec uses mutual certificate authentication and the message you see indicates that your RADIUS server is no accepting/trusting the certificate used by the AP (RadSec client): tls_process_client_certificate:certificate verify failed

I attached the RootCA, that I pulled from ClearPass that has it built-in, but other RADIUS server don't. The file is in a zip as it didn't allow me to upload otherwise, so extract first. You will need to add this and configure your radsecproxy to trust this certificate for incoming RADIUS clients.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

Attachment(s)

• 3.  RE: RadSec ignores custom certificate

Posted Feb 01, 2021 10:18 AM

Thank you for the root certificate I will try to use it shortly.

RadSec uses mutual certificate authentication...

I understand that, and this is why I have uploaded my own certificate

And my expectation was that AP should use it rather than continue to use the Aruba's default.
    By putting that root certificate on RadSecProxy side it will open the TLS authentication to all Aruba access points. But i want to restrict it only to these who are using my certificate.

Thanks.

Alexander Shulgin

• 4.  RE: RadSec ignores custom certificate

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 01, 2021 11:57 AM
    Can you try to check on the AP itself, for example with Console Session from Central or direct SSH or serial console into the AP, if the certificate is actually updated and active? If you have a CLI session, you can run the command: "show cert" to see which certificates are present for which features.

I was not aware of the possibility to add a custom RadSec client certificate, so it may also be new to recent firmware. I would expect a message indicating incompatibility, but let's start to see if the configuration has been pushed correctly.

If it is there, but also if it is not there, you can open a case with support either on the certificate not being pushed from Central, or the pushed certificate not being used.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 5.  RE: RadSec ignores custom certificate

Posted Feb 01, 2021 12:36 PM

Here is my output. I masked some sensitive parts with ***

***:21:1f:f8# show cert

Default Server Certificate:
    Version :2
    Serial Number :0150785FFB26E35A
    Issuer :/C=US/ST=California/O=Aruba Networks/OU=Instant/CN=Aruba303H-CNDRK2R1K3
    Subject :/C=US/ST=California/L=Sunnyvale/O=Aruba Networks/OU=Instant/CN=securelogin.arubanetworks.com
    Issued On :Aug 4 16:24:31 2019 GMT
    Expires On :Aug 2 16:24:31 2029 GMT
    RSA Key size :2048 bits
    Signed Using :RSA-SHA256

Default CP Server Certificate:
    Serial Number :0150785FFB26E35A
    Issuer :/C=US/ST=California/O=Aruba Networks/OU=Instant/CN=Aruba303H-CNDRK2R1K3
    Subject :/C=US/ST=California/L=Sunnyvale/O=Aruba Networks/OU=Instant/CN=securelogin.arubanetworks.com
    Issued On :Aug 4 16:24:31 2019 GMT
    Expires On :Aug 2 16:24:31 2029 GMT

Current radsec CA Certificate:
    Serial Number :E3F1EEAFEAA21D74
    Issuer :/C=CA/ST=AB/L=Calgary/O=***/emailAddress=***@***.com/CN=*** Radius Certificate Authority
    Subject :/C=CA/ST=AB/L=Calgary/O=***/emailAddress=***@***.com/CN=*** Radius Certificate Authority
    Issued On :Jan 22 15:14:03 2021 GMT
    Expires On :Mar 23 15:14:03 2021 GMT

Current radsec Certificate:
    Serial Number :02
    Issuer :/C=CA/ST=AB/L=Calgary/O=***/emailAddress=***@***.com/CN=*** Radius Certificate Authority
    Subject :/C=CA/ST=AB/O=***/CN=*** Radius Client/emailAddress=***@***.com
    Issued On :Jan 22 15:19:27 2021 GMT
    Expires On :Mar 23 15:19:27 2021 GMT

Default Web UI Server Certificate:
    Serial Number :01D729729D9EDDEA
    Issuer :/C=US/ST=California/O=Aruba Networks/OU=Instant/CN=Aruba303H-CNDRK2R1K1
    Subject :/C=US/ST=California/L=Sunnyvale/O=Aruba Networks/OU=Instant/CN=setmeup.arubanetworks.com
    Issued On :Aug 4 16:24:24 2019 GMT
    Expires On :Aug 2 16:24:24 2029 GMT

Device Certificate:
    Serial Number :296242F40002000A8092
    Issuer :/DC=com/DC=arubanetworks/DC=devicesign/CN=Aruba Networks Trusted Computing Issuing CA 1
    Subject :/CN=CNDRK2R1K1::20:4c:03:21:1f:f8
    Issued On :Aug 22 12:51:10 2017 GMT
    Expires On :Sep 14 03:21:14 2032 GMT

Alexander Shulgin

• 6.  RE: RadSec ignores custom certificate

Posted Feb 01, 2021 12:44 PM
    Yeah, it is here. 
    Going to open support case.