Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 9 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Private Jet Wifi

This thread has been viewed 9 times
  • 1.  Private Jet Wifi

Posted Oct 06, 2020 10:39 AM

I work for a company that installs communications systems on private airplanes. The airplane that I'm working on right now is a Gulfstream G650. The network was installed on this plane a couple of years before I started working for the company, but now the customer has asked us to limit the footprint of the wireless system. When the aircraft is parked on the jetway at an airport they can still connect to the system out to about 100 feet outside of the plane. For security reasons, the customer would like to minimize the footprint as to contain the signal inside the jet as much as possible. The system consists of an Aruba 7010 Controller (running 6.5.1.5) and 2 Aruba JW165A Access Points. I didn't design this setup. Personally I think that using a controller was unnecessary for this system, but that is what the customer asked for and hardware changes are out of the question. I have tried tweaking the max/minimum power and distance setting with very little success. I guess my question is, how do I set this to have the smallest footprint possible? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! 

• 2.  RE: Private Jet Wifi
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 06, 2020 11:50 AM

Make all of your SSIDs hidden and use the local probe request threshold parameter.

1.  Use the hide-ssid and the deny broadcast probe requests parameter in the SSID profile

2.  configure the local probe request threshold parameter in the SSID profile.  Start with 20 and increase it until you have little to no range.

• 3.  RE: Private Jet Wifi

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 06, 2020 11:55 AM

Other than reducing the max transmit power to some low number (or directly setting transmit power to a low level) there's little you can do in terms of configuration.

Note that the lowest EIRP transmit power level the AP-205 can operate at is about 5dBm in 2.4GHz and 6.5dBm in 5GHz, given MIMO and antenna gain.

Or try wrapping the APs in aluminum foil 

• 4.  RE: Private Jet Wifi

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 16, 2021 10:07 AM
    Hey,

I am the Aruba Account Manager for Gulfstream. you can reach me at 508-377-8139 or at riku@hpe.com. We'd love to work with you on solving this. Riku Kilpelainen

------------------------------
    Riku Kilpelainen
    ------------------------------