Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: an hour ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Script to turn off SSID

This thread has been viewed 23 times
  • 1.  Script to turn off SSID

Posted Nov 07, 2018 04:01 PM

We are looking for a method to allow our helpdesk users a way to disable an SSID without providing them full access to Airwave. While I haven't looked at it turn much, my initial thought is to write a cli based script to do it .

I'm wondering if anyone has done this and if so what the commands look like or if there is a way in Airwave to limit permissions to provide only this limited access to configuration.

Thanks for any comments.

Dan

• 2.  RE: Script to turn off SSID

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 07, 2018 11:47 PM

Hi dlietz,

Is tour infrastructure based on Controllers (preferable AOS8) or instant? 

One of my customers has created a script to enable or disable an SSID for Instant AP's through a script and Airwave, using the API. 

BR

Florian

• 3.  RE: Script to turn off SSID

Posted Nov 08, 2018 07:51 AM

Hi,

Our infrastructure is based on Instant. I'd be very interested in seeing that script if possible.

Thanks.

Dan

• 4.  RE: Script to turn off SSID

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 11, 2018 11:50 PM

Hi dlietz,

As this is from a customer, I cannot share the script itself but let me describe the workflow, so that you get an understanding of what they do. 

They enable or disable the SSID on a specific IAP cluster (not for all) so they need to search for that IAP cluster by using the search API in AirWave. From that search, they get the device ID form the IAP Cluster and can now change some variables for that IAP. One variable is used in if condition in the IAP template like this: 

%if custom_variable_3=true%
    wlan access-rule someSSID
    rule any any match any any any permit

wlan ssid-profile someSSID
    enable
    type employee
    essid someSSID
    wpa-passphrase %custom_variable_2%
    opmode wpa2-psk-aes
    max-authentication-failures 0
    vlan 108
    auth-server InternalServer
    rf-band 2.4GHz
    captive-portal disable
    dtim-period 1
    inactivity-timeout 1000
    broadcast-filter arp
    dmo-channel-utilization-threshold 90
    local-probe-req-thresh 0
    max-clients-threshold 64
    %endif%

So, depending on "custom_variable_3" (true or false), the SSID is broadcasted or not. 

I think this could also work for you. 

You should just look at the AirWave API documentation, which is available here:

https://[AirWave-IP]/static/APIGuide/APIGuide.htmI

BR

Florian

• 5.  RE: Script to turn off SSID

Posted Feb 12, 2019 06:34 AM

hey, have the same "thing" to do.

the workflow is clear, but the script and XML and what every is a bit weird.

The sample demo script is also weird.

Has anyone a very simple but clear script for understanding?

(without airwave or anything, i have just the IAP)

• 6.  RE: Script to turn off SSID

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 12, 2019 11:56 PM

Hi zesa,

Without having a management system, AirWave or Central, it is not possible. At least from my point of view. The IAP does not have an API you can use. You might use shell scripting, which means, the script connects to the IAP using SSH and enters the commands to disable the SSID, as you would do manually. 

Are the specific times during which you would like to disable/enable the SSID? 

• 7.  RE: Script to turn off SSID

Posted Nov 24, 2020 04:24 PM

Hi, after more than 1 1/2 years.
    no. there is no timeline, this is just a own projects. 

I know similar things from sophos or cisco, where a mailaddress receive the password of the day for wifi.
    My idea was to create something similar where a script autocreate a password , set this in aruba IAP and send this as well to the mailaddress.

I tried to write a shell script which login in aruba cli and enter commands, but it was heavy.

So now, after other things was important, I will try to make this happen again. (without splash page)

------------------------------