Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Where do you check to see if the AP is using one VLAN and the wifi user is on different VLAN?

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Where do you check to see if the AP is using one VLAN and the wifi user is on different VLAN?

Posted Jul 29, 2015 12:04 PM

My 2nd question here as a newbie.

The controller is the 3600.

I'd like to know as the subject stated where in the controller I can locate this setting.

My design goal is to have the AP running in one VLAN 60 and the SSID #1 users are on VLAN 61, the SSID #2 users are on VLAN 62 and so on. 

So I'd like to check the current configuration if it's already setup that way. 

Any helpul hint would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

• 2.  RE: Where do you check to see if the AP is using one VLAN and the wifi user is on different VLAN?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 29, 2015 12:31 PM

The Virtual AP has a VLAN parameter that determines what VLAN a user would end up in.  To see what VLAN a user is currently in, on the commandline, type "show user-table verbose".  The VLAN should be in parenthesis.

• 3.  RE: Where do you check to see if the AP is using one VLAN and the wifi user is on different VLAN?

Posted Jul 29, 2015 08:01 PM

The only problem is that none of the AP is connected to the controller at the moment because I'm redoing the vlan. The current Aruba vlans are in conflict with our network so I had to shut it down on the switch.

I don't want to delete them from the controller also because I want to copy the configuration to the new designated vlan.

Hope that make sense? :)

I thought I should be able to see how it was configured through the controller GUI without having to have the AP connected first, no?

Sorry, I'm still learning here... :(

• 4.  RE: Where do you check to see if the AP is using one VLAN and the wifi user is on different VLAN?

Posted Jul 29, 2015 08:22 PM

Maybe I should share this to make it more sense.

I believe the current setting is as follows:

GE1/1 VLAN 1: 10.0.0.1 (LAN for MGMT & APs)

GE 1/0-1 VLAN 2: 38.150.150.38 (WAN IP)

GE 1/1 VLAN 3: 10.3.0.1 (WLAN for Nest SSID)

GE 1/1 VLAN 4: 10.4.0.1 (WLAN for Business SSID)

GE 1/1 VLAN 5: 10.5.0.1 (WLAN for Public SSID)

My goal is to have the setup as follows since now we integrate them to our network.

GE 1/0-1 VLAN 100: 192.168.100.2 (WAN IP, MGMT LAN, Business SSID WLAN)

GE 1/1 VLAN 150: 192.150.0.1 (LAN for APs)

GE 1/1 VLAN 160: 192.160.0.1 (WLAN for Nest SSID)

GE 1/1 VLAN 170: 192.170.0.1 (WLAN for Public SSID)

Hope that makes more sense?

There might be a simple way to set this up and I'm all ears. :)

Thank you all.

• 5.  RE: Where do you check to see if the AP is using one VLAN and the wifi user is on different VLAN?

Posted Aug 05, 2015 11:17 PM
    1. Create the new VLANs on the controller
    2. Navigate to each VAP and assign the VLAN. Here's a link explaining VAPs.