Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 2 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Valid Client Misassociation Detected

This thread has been viewed 25 times
  • 1.  Valid Client Misassociation Detected

Posted Jun 17, 2021 01:18 PM
    All wireless network was down for 10 mins, user was getting error unable to connect (SSID), I found " Valid Client Misassociation Detected" log for the same time on Airwave. Will this be the root cause?

------------------------------
    Niraj Thakare

• 2.  RE: Valid Client Misassociation Detected

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 17, 2021 02:38 PM
    If you are only detecting, you are not doing anything about it.  If you have DOS or IDS protection enabled, you are doing something about it.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 3.  RE: Valid Client Misassociation Detected

Posted Feb 27, 2023 07:00 AM

We faced with exact same situation but longer period and the same records in the Airwave logs.

• 4.  RE: Valid Client Misassociation Detected

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 27, 2023 07:06 AM

When you say "faced with exact same situation", what do you mean?

Valid client misassociation by default is not enabled, so disabling will stop the message.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

HPE Design and Deploy Guides: https://community.arubanetworks.com/support/migrated-knowledge-base?attachments=&communitykey=dcc83c62-1a3a-4dd8-94dc-92968ea6fff1&pageindex=0&pagesize=12&search=&sort=most_recent&viewtype=card

• 5.  RE: Valid Client Misassociation Detected

Posted Feb 27, 2023 11:31 AM

Hello Cjoseph,

I was trying to reply Niirraaj's entry but I think Aruba portal does not work like that.

Neverthless, we faced exact same problem in a remote location; Wi-Fi went down for 30 minutes and when we check the logs of Airwave we saw the same messages on some APs' IDS logs and their severity is Highest.

I wonder if anyone has attempted to compromise our Wi-Fi system and how to respond to such actions.

Thank you.

• 6.  RE: Valid Client Misassociation Detected

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 27, 2023 12:19 PM

Understood.  Sometimes the reply actually places the reply under the previous posts.  I'm not sure why it doesn't work.

Valid Client Misassociation is supposed to track clients that have  historically connected to your network with encryption.  It is optional and doesn't have to be enabled.  The message will show up:

• If that  client has connected to an access point that is considered a rogue by your network
    • If that client is connected to an access point that is not on your system
    • If that client is connected to a hotspot
    • If that client is connected to an ad-hoc network

The description of the capability is here:  https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_8.10.0_Web_Help/Content/arubaos-solutions/wireless-intrus-prev/unde-clie-intr-dete.htm?Highlight=valid%20client%20misassociation#new_wip_1365762209_1030322

This message will show up if you have any of your clients connecting to an external access point, which is pretty generic and doesn't automatically mean an attack is happening.

HPE Design and Deploy Guides: https://community.arubanetworks.com/support/migrated-knowledge-base?attachments=&communitykey=dcc83c62-1a3a-4dd8-94dc-92968ea6fff1&pageindex=0&pagesize=12&search=&sort=most_recent&viewtype=card

• 7.  RE: Valid Client Misassociation Detected

Posted Mar 03, 2023 06:32 AM

Thank you for detailed explanation. "Valid Client Misassociation is supposed to track clients that have  historically connected to your network with encryption." sentence explains very well.

In our case it came out that local guys run a parallel Wi-Fi Internet service as backup of our corporate Wi-Fi service :)

Shame on us! the client consider to run another service as backup of our service.