Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Downgrade from AOS 8.3 to AOS 6.5.4

This thread has been viewed 25 times
  • 1.  Downgrade from AOS 8.3 to AOS 6.5.4

Posted Feb 17, 2021 02:04 PM
    Hi Community,

I need to downgrade a controller running AOS 8.3 to AOS 6.5.4 and it's associated APs. 

Can somebody please share the recommended steps to achieve this. The APs are mounted high in the ceiling of this site so I need to avoid having to physically get to the AP to do any activity on the AP if the downgrade is unsuccessful. I know in 6.5.4 there are two partitions and you can copy a file to here and boot from here, but my experience has only been when doing this in the same release i.e 6.5.3 -> 6.5.4 for example.

I wasn't sure if this is something you could do via a USB and CLI in AOS 8 and pre-provision the APs to use the version of 6.5.4 once copied to the WLC?

Thanks

------------------------------
    Darren Carr

• 2.  RE: Downgrade from AOS 8.3 to AOS 6.5.4

MVP GURU
    Posted Feb 17, 2021 02:17 PM
    You could apply the below configuration to the AP system profiles for the APs that your worried about. That way you at least have connectivity to the APs if they don't come up on the controller. Telnet is not secure, so I only advise using this during the cutover window. 

ap system-profile "system-profile"
        telnet
        no ap-console-protection
        ap-console-password <password>

Dustin Burns

• 3.  RE: Downgrade from AOS 8.3 to AOS 6.5.4

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Feb 18, 2021 02:53 AM
    Why would you like to downgrade to 6.5.4.x ?

Marcel Koedijk | MVP Guru 2021 | ACMP | ACCP | Ekahau ECSE | Not an HPE Employee | Opionions are my own

• 4.  RE: Downgrade from AOS 8.3 to AOS 6.5.4

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Feb 18, 2021 04:13 AM

Couple of extra tips, depending on the AP model you are using if it features a BLE chip you can enable the Dynamic Console/Persistent Console which will allow you to access the console of the AP via BLE + App. Its certainly helped me access a console when there has been no cherry pickers about :)

https://community.arubanetworks.com/browse/articles/blogviewer?blogkey=256076fa-675c-4343-b122-7900e770eb69

There are a few pre-reqs if you are downgrading as well :

But as Marcel has asked, why do you need to downgrade, technical issue, unsupported APs etc?

Craig Syme