Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

New VLAN

This thread has been viewed 22 times
  • 1.  New VLAN

Posted Mar 02, 2021 07:34 AM
    Afternoon 

I trying to add a new vlan to our WiFi setup but I'm having an issue with one bit.

We have a Mobility master with two mobility controllers (Aruba7205) I have tried configuring the VLAN from the Managed Network node and each controller, but I cannot get the VLAN's Operational state up.  I have had a dig around but have been unable to see what I'm missing

Any ideas,  Thanks 

Working Example

New Non-working Example

------------------------------
    Simon Harbinson

• 2.  RE: New VLAN

MVP GURU
    Posted Mar 02, 2021 09:06 AM
    On the one that says the operational state is up, you may have issued the "operstate up" command. You can see if it is by looking in the cli on the VLAN interface. See example below:

interface vlan 100
    ip address 192.168.1.190 255.255.255.0
    operstate up

Usually you a VLAN to operstate up if it isn't tied to an interface on the controller. Setting operstate to up ensures that the interface is always in an up state. You usually do this for a guest VLAN hosted on the controller itself when it is not tied to a trunk or access port on the controller.

Dustin Burns

• 3.  RE: New VLAN

Posted Mar 02, 2021 09:26 AM

Hi Dustin,  your right the config has Operstate up on all the currently configured VLANs, the assumption that is not working is I get a 169.254 address instead of the 10.68.x.x address.

Can I assume that the Operstate up needs to be set for the vlan to function?

EG:

Working VLAN:

interface vlan 65
    ip address 10.65.7.253 255.255.248.0
    operstate up

Non Working VLAN:
    interface vlan 68
    ip address 10.68.7.253 255.255.248.0

DHCP is running from the DC on 172.16.0.10 all the other VLANs use the same DHCP server. 

Simon

Simon Harbinson

• 4.  RE: New VLAN

MVP GURU
    Posted Mar 02, 2021 09:51 AM
    Can you check to see if the VLAN is up on the trunk? For instance if you are connected to GE0/0/0, issue the "show interface gigabitethernet 0/0/0 switchport" command. Your VLAN 68 should shoe in the "Trunking Vlans Active row. Also, what do you see when you issue the show interface vlan 68 command? Should be "VLAN68 is up line protocol is up" 

Is there an interface in VLAN 68 that supplies the DHCP, or are you using DHCP helpers? If so are the helpers configured on the vlan interface, or on another switch/router ion VLAN 68?

See some example output below:

(Burns-Home) [mynode] #show interface gigabitethernet 0/0/0 switchport
    Name: GE0/0/0
    Switchport: Enabled
    Administrative mode: trunk
    Operational mode: trunk
    Administrative Trunking Encapsulation: dot1q
    Operational Trunking Encapsulation: dot1q
    Access Mode VLAN: 0 ((Inactive))
    Trunking Native Mode VLAN: 1 (Default)
    Trunking Vlans Enabled: ALL
    Trunking Vlans Active: 1,100

(Burns-Home) [mynode] #show interface vlan 100
    VLAN100 is up line protocol is up
    Hardware is CPU Interface, Interface address is 00:0B:86:B8:68:B8 (bia 00:0B:86:B8:68:B8)
    Description: 802.1Q VLAN
    Internet address is 192.168.1.190 255.255.255.0
    IPv6 Router Advertisements are disabled
    Routing interface is enable, Forwarding mode is enable
    Directed broadcast is disabled, BCMC Optimization disabled ProxyARP disabled Suppress ARP enable
    Encapsulation 802, loopback not set
    MTU 1500 bytes
    Last clearing of "show interface" counters 4 day 16 hr 45 min 38 sec
    link status last changed 4 day 16 hr 41 min 2 sec
    Proxy Arp is disabled for the Interface

Dustin Burns

• 5.  RE: New VLAN

Posted Mar 02, 2021 10:30 AM
    Hi Dustin,

Got it, I have all working now,  like numpty I had configured the interface on the south core switch but there are two as the North controller is in the south server room because we had an issue a few weeks ago, I did configure the port on the North core switch

So I configured the interface on the south switch that is currently hosting the north controller and boom after a disconnect and reconnect, done.

Thanks Again 

Simon

Simon Harbinson

• 6.  RE: New VLAN

MVP GURU
    Posted Mar 02, 2021 09:07 AM
    And just to add. Just because the status shows N/A, it doesn't mean that it is down and not working.

Dustin Burns