Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 3 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

clearpass EAP-TLS without AD source

This thread has been viewed 32 times
  • 1.  clearpass EAP-TLS without AD source

Posted Jun 15, 2021 11:04 AM
    hello Airheads,
    How do you set up a Clearpass EAP-TLS service WITHOUT an authentication source (Such as AD).
    I basically want to do EAP-TLS based on CA trusts.
    The client has got a personal certificate and a copy of the CA that generated it is on Clearpass.
    regards
    Pete

------------------------------
    Pete Elms

• 2.  RE: clearpass EAP-TLS without AD source
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 15, 2021 11:48 AM
    create a copy of the eap0-tls method and uncheck authorisation required.

if his client cert has an OCSP url then you could also enable ocsp

• 3.  RE: clearpass EAP-TLS without AD source

Posted Jun 15, 2021 12:03 PM
    thank you so much you were absolutely right.
    works a treat.
    have a great day
    pete

Pete Elms

• 4.  RE: clearpass EAP-TLS without AD source

Posted Jun 15, 2021 12:06 PM
    i'm assuming your name is Alex.
    thanks Alex for taking the time.
    i've given you KUDOS for your answer.
    Let me know if the KUDOS hasn't showed up.
    cheers
    pete

Pete Elms

• 5.  RE: clearpass EAP-TLS without AD source

Posted Jun 15, 2021 01:03 PM
    Yup its Alex.

course if you don’t have ocsp or authorization all you’re checking is that the cert hasn’t expired, you’re not checking whether its been revoked, so notarially ideal
    but it works
    Rgds
    A

• 6.  RE: clearpass EAP-TLS without AD source

Posted Jun 16, 2021 04:14 AM
    thanks again Alex,
    i was just setting up a lab to get an EAP-TLS session going with no AD.
    However absolutely appreciate what you are saying with regard to OCSP.
    I have never used OCSP.
    I think we are going to see OCSP more and more.
    Have you done many installs with EAP-TLS and OCSP?
    CHEERS
    Pete

Pete Elms

• 7.  RE: clearpass EAP-TLS without AD source

Posted Jun 16, 2021 04:57 AM
    Hi,
    Only ever used OCSP for certs validation. CRL list seems painful, whereas OCSP to a system with a back end db gave you instant up to date response. ( not sure its true but someone mentioned the windows ocsp was just a front end to CRL lists … so only way to keep an up to date ocsp system was to schedule CRL list generation more frequent … but don’t know if that’s true or not, not a windoze person .. yetch!)

Ran the CloudPath onboarding solution for 5 years and had that set up so people could install client certs and clearpass just did cert validation via ocsp .. no AD involved. in fact took it 1 step further in that given only provider for certs on the site eduroam wifi was the Cloudpath system I used the eap-tls method option to override the ocsp url with a fixed one pointing to Cloudpath. That way if someone came on site with their own eap-tls client ( think ocsp validation going off site to unknown server as being “guest access” on a wpa2-enterprise net) the only server used for ocsp validation would be cloud path.If you weren’t a locally configured device you didn’t get connected using TLS

This was only in “test mode “ not production but did run certs on windows/android /macos iOS / Chromebooks and it just worked. Even started looking at SCEP to drop certs on Apple devices and the VmWare MDM solution. Think we had ~ 300-400 TLS clients in the end. The MDM stuff was cool, could fire up android tablets that ran 1 app , no access to anything else and eat-tls provided the “always on” connectivity

It all worked and was pretty cool!

What didn’t work was the systems people using the win PKI to generate certs with a realm in the CN so devices could use eap-tls on eduroam at remote sites. At the time they didn’t want to use CloudPath as an intermediate CA bound to their root CA .. which would have been good. … that may have changed

A

• 8.  RE: clearpass EAP-TLS without AD source

MVP
    Posted Jun 16, 2021 07:38 AM

if you don't have ocsp or authorization all you're checking is that the cert hasn't expired, you're not checking whether its been revoked,
    Alex Sharaz,  Jun 15, 2021 01:01 PM

That is totally incorrect.

ClearPass supports CRL which also checks certificate expiry. In fact, that is how we plan on deploying TLS since our CA does not support OCSP, only CRL.

Bruce Osborne ACCP ACMP
    Liberty University

The views expressed here are my personal views and not those of my employer

• 9.  RE: clearpass EAP-TLS without AD source

Posted Jun 16, 2021 08:04 AM
    Sorry didn’t make my self clear.

I’ve seen people use client certs with a CA chain in clearpass, no OCSP url in the cert and no CRL lists defined in clearpass.

Yes I know clearpass supports CRL lists and can set cppm to either periodically update a list or to update a list has been made.

Never had to use CRL lists because I’ve always used OCSP

Rgds
    Alex

• 10.  RE: clearpass EAP-TLS without AD source

MVP
    Posted Jun 17, 2021 07:52 AM
    I think the difference, in our case, is that OCSP reaches out to the CA for every request and CRL does not.

Our cloud based CA provider servers many TLS customers so CRL meant less load on their infrastructure. At lease I assume that was the basis of their design decision

Bruce Osborne ACCP ACMP
    Liberty University

• 11.  RE: clearpass EAP-TLS without AD source

Posted Jun 17, 2021 10:04 AM
    Guess depends on how often a CRL refresh is acceptable and how often a client reauthenticates

If you’re using a mobility controller default of a day, then yeah, CRL/OCSP whichever.

I did at one point ask how many sites on uk eduroam actually had clients using eap-tls and I think 1 or two sites replied. From that point of view, only allowing eap-tls from your users and only allowing TLS from your own onboarding system seemed reasonable. Our reauth times were 1 hour and OCSP directly to a back end database was just fine.
    A

• 12.  RE: clearpass EAP-TLS without AD source

Posted Jun 17, 2021 10:14 AM
    hi Alex and Bruce,
    although i've not added anything i'm enjoying reading your opinions and experiences.
    i really appreciate the time you are taking to do this.
    cheers
    pete

Pete Elms

• 13.  RE: clearpass EAP-TLS without AD source

MVP
    Posted Jun 17, 2021 10:20 AM
    I feel I am still in learning mode but one member of our team worked with TLS for a federal contractor.

Bruce Osborne ACCP ACMP
    Liberty University

• 14.  RE: clearpass EAP-TLS without AD source

Posted Jun 17, 2021 10:25 AM
    I do think eap-tls is the dogs dangly bits. and definitely what we should be doing. In my case, low numbers of clients, reasonable re-auth times and damn fast on site OCSP infrastructure (which was also load balanced) meant we could do the cert disable followed by a RADIUS CoA forced reauth to kick someone off the net . Suppose if you re using cloud based cert validation you would look at CRLs from the response time side of things.
    A

• 15.  RE: clearpass EAP-TLS without AD source

MVP
    Posted Jun 17, 2021 10:17 AM

Guess depends on how often a CRL refresh is acceptable and how often a client reauthenticates
    Alex Sharaz,  Jun 17, 2021 10:03 AM
    That s one issue now. Our provider has a CRL & Delta CRL.  Our current plans are CRL every 1 day & Delta CRL every 15 minutes. CPPM does not currently respect the update field used for the Delta though.

Please vote for this in Innovation Zone.

https://innovate.arubanetworks.com/ideas/SEC-I-1014

Bruce Osborne ACCP ACMP
    Liberty University