Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: an hour ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AirGroup ver2 - Beta?

This thread has been viewed 44 times
  • 1.  AirGroup ver2 - Beta?

Posted Dec 07, 2021 06:44 AM
    Hello everyone,

I'm reposting this from a Reddit post a few days ago. I'm hoping that some here will have some more info:

Looking to implement AirGroup for a client, and see the following in the AOS docs:

AirGroup can operate in version 1 (older architecture) or version 2 (redesigned architecture) mode. AirGroup version 2 mode is available as a Beta release.

Is there any documentation out there about AirGroup v2? The only place I find it mentioned is in John Schaap's wonderful AOS 8.9 YouTube video series; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiZUAob3-3k

He enables ver2 specifically in this video, but does not state why or what benefits it brings. Hoping someone out there can give a rundown of what improvements there are and if it is ready for use in prod environments.

------------------------------
    Nathan Kuhl

• 2.  RE: AirGroup ver2 - Beta?

Posted Dec 07, 2021 04:35 PM

I wouldn't recommend it yet for Prod deployments. It states to contact Aruba Support to enable it (which probably means specific use case, or expect issues)

Here is what I found on what changes there are

Making AirGroup multi-threaded and lock-less. This reduces packet corruption and process crashes.
      Handling increased frequency of server advertisements. This increases scaling in networks with large
      number of devices.
      Handling increased frequency of client queries. This increases scaling in networks with large number of
      1. devices.
      2. Flushing wireless devices that are unresponsive or disconnected from the network. This improves the
      3. performance of AirGroup process.
      4. Allowing users to see only servers that are near them. This improves user experience in multiple island
      5. scenario.
      6. Enabling auto-associate AP name by default. This improves user experience in multiple island scenario.
      7. Processing larger number of packets per second. This increases scaling in networks with large number of devices.
      8. Wired Location Tagging for wired servers
      9. Tagging by CPPM Policy
      Increased Scalability 

It discusses it a little bit in the 8.9 User Guide, starting at page 1211

https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS-8.x-Books/89/ArubaOS-8.9.0.0-User-Guide.pdf

Chris Wickline | ACCA |

1. 3.  RE: AirGroup ver2 - Beta?

Posted Dec 07, 2021 09:08 PM
      I can't seem to download the User Guide.  Both your link and the one off of ASP (which is the same) seem to be broken. Argh.

Robert Glover

2. 4.  RE: AirGroup ver2 - Beta?

EMPLOYEE
      Posted Dec 08, 2021 04:32 AM
      It was working, but is not working now.  We are having it looked at.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

3. 5.  RE: AirGroup ver2 - Beta?

EMPLOYEE
      Posted Dec 08, 2021 07:13 AM
      The link should be working now:  https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS-8.x-Books/89/ArubaOS-8.9.0.0-User-Guide.pdf

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

4. 6.  RE: AirGroup ver2 - Beta?

Posted Dec 08, 2021 04:50 PM
      Thank you!

Robert Glover