Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AirGroup Centralized Mode

This thread has been viewed 25 times
  • 1.  AirGroup Centralized Mode

Posted Jan 24, 2021 12:10 PM
    Hi everyone,

Hope you can help me with this one.

We have a wireless solution with two mobility masters (active/standby) and two mobility controllers deployed at a customer.
    For streaming to different devices (eg. AppleTV, ClickShare) we would like to use AirGroup.

We started testing with Centralized Mode as recommended by Aruba. Unfortunately we could not get it running. Therefore we changed to distributed mode and everything works as expected. But now we would like to figure out the root cause and opened a TAC case. At the moment we are not making any progress with enabling centralized mode. Last week we updated to version 8.7.1.1 but still the same problem.

If we look through the statistics, it looks like there is no traffic passing from the md to mm. We tried "show airgroup internal-state statistics" but all the counters are 0. For me it is unclear, how the openflow traffic should pass from the md to the mm. I also couldn't find any suitable information on the internet.
    Our mobility masters are deployed in another subnet than the mobility controllers, but all firewall ports are opened between each other.
    Have you guys a tip or an overview on how to narrow down the problem?

Thanks a lot and regards,
    Reto

------------------------------
    Reto Gobat

• 2.  RE: AirGroup Centralized Mode

Posted Jan 25, 2021 03:17 PM
    I wish I could be more helpful, but I can at least point out that I would not expect the traffic to traverse the MM. Hope that helps. 

--

Ryan Hertzing
    Systems Administrator
    Laguna Beach Unified School District
    550 Blumont Street | Laguna Beach, CA 92651
    rhertzing@lbusd.org | 949-497-7700 Ext. 5223
    Website | Twitter | Facebook

Laguna Beach Unified School District

This email communication and any attachments, including documents, files, or previous email messages, constitute electronic communications within the scope of the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 USCA 2510 et al. This email communication may contain non-public, confidential or legally privileged information intended for the sole use of the designated recipient(s). The unauthorized and intentional interception, use, copy or disclosure of such information, or attempt to do so, is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful under applicable laws. If you have received this email communication in error, please immediately notify the sender by return email and delete the original email from your system.

• 3.  RE: AirGroup Centralized Mode
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 18, 2021 11:14 AM
    Hi guys,

Just wanted to let you know, that we were finally able to fix the issue. There were two main problems:
    1. In the openflow controller settings we specified the vrrp IP of the mobility master cluster
      1. That does not fully work as the mobility master sends back the openflow packets with source ip of the primary master
      2. We had to specify "masterip" and then everyhting seem synchronous
    2. PEF licences were added to the mobility master but not activated
      1. We had to activate them and after that, all the openflow mdns packets started to flow

Out of the manuals it was not clear to us, that AirGroup in centralized mode needs PEF whereas AirGroup in distributed mode does not need it.

Hope this helps someone.

Reto Gobat