Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Wireless clients connect but show up as mac address

This thread has been viewed 19 times
  • 1.  Wireless clients connect but show up as mac address

Posted Oct 26, 2021 10:21 AM
    Hello,

I'm having some issues with a WPA2 network that we're broadcasting on our Aruba wireless. We have a need to join wireless cameras onto this network and were able to get a large part of them connected and working. We then ran into a small batch of IP's that have no reservations or static devices set to them that we simply cannot connect to this network.

We're setting static IP's on the cameras, we see the camera connect to the wireless, we can even see the device in the client list on the Aruba Controllers/Airwave but they are only showing up as the mac address of the device. The static IP isn't showing up and the camera is never pingable or accessible by that IP address. If we change the IP to one that we know worked, the camera will connect and show up properly and is accessible, we also found that using a DHCP reservation will allow the device to connect. The issue with this is we will have to go back and switch all of these cameras to DHCP and get their macs.

I have a ticket open with Aruba, and we've already talked to our DHCP appliance support and it doesn't seem to be anything on there end. Has anyone seen anything like this? Have any ideas where I can look to see what's happening? The IP we're setting is not set to any other devices, when we turn the camera off we cannot ping that ip address so there shouldn't be any other devices using the IP. We're not sure what we're missing.

Appreciate any input!

------------------------------
    Dylan Galiffa

• 2.  RE: Wireless clients connect but show up as mac address

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 27, 2021 11:26 AM
    You are doing the right thing.  Aruba support would have many details that you could not post.  If a client joins the network and passes traffic, it needs a mac address and ip address and those should be in the user table.  Can you ping those clients from the Aruba controller?  Does it show that those clients are sending ip traffic?

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 3.  RE: Wireless clients connect but show up as mac address
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 27, 2021 11:33 AM
    They got back to me pretty quickly, we looked at the CLI of the controller and tracked down that the specific IP's weren't able to pick up has multiple user entries. This SSID profile didn't have a user idle timeout set to it, so once we set that to 15min it seems to have resolved the issue. Basically the old device still had an entry in the controller for when the IP was apart of the DHCP scope and a new entry for the new DHCP address it picked up. Since it held onto the old DHCP assigned address it wouldn't let the statically assigned device come online using that IP. We manually removed the 4 specific IPs and those devices came right up, but the long term fix was definitely the User Idle timeout setting on the SSID profile.

Dylan Galiffa

• 4.  RE: Wireless clients connect but show up as mac address

Posted Oct 27, 2021 12:45 PM
    Is it possible that you have IP address conflicts?  Are the subnet mask and gateway being entered correctly?  It sounds to me like a problem on the camera, not the wireless system.

--