Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: an hour ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP-377 dual linked AP

This thread has been viewed 17 times
  • 1.  AP-377 dual linked AP

Posted Jun 17, 2021 11:19 AM
    What would be the disadvantages of running an AP-377 on a single 1 Gb/s link on E0 and POE+ (30W allocation from the switch) as apposed to a dual link? As I understand it, the AP-377 will only draw power on E0 to power the AP (even if dual connected with LACP enabled) and the additional link is to provide resiliency and capacity support if the AP has a large amount of clients connected passing a lot of data. Is this correct? 

------------------------------
    Adam Newson

• 2.  RE: AP-377 dual linked AP

MVP GURU
    Posted Jun 17, 2021 11:27 AM
    That is correct. the second link is a 1000BASE-X SFP link, so no PoE+ delivered to that interface. I usually only see that being used when the cabling distance is to great, and a fiber network connection needs to be used. Power then gets supplied by an injector, or direct.

Dustin Burns
    Senior Mobility and Access Engineer @WEI

ACCX 1271| ACMX 509| ACSP | ACDA | MVP Guru 2021
    If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos

• 3.  RE: AP-377 dual linked AP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 21, 2021 07:47 AM
    If you don't have a good reason or requirement to run two cables to an AP, a single cable should be the standard (in my opinion).

Note that the 2 Gbps of a 1 Gbps Ethernet port (duplex), is more than enough in practical cases. You need to go to specialized testing to reach the bottleneck of your Ethernet port. I see the 2 ports on the 377 more as flexibility, so you have the option to run a fiber to your AP, and PoE-power the AP over the other port.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.