Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 8 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

External Antenna Gain Configuration for AOS Controller Based - How?

This thread has been viewed 35 times
  • 1.  External Antenna Gain Configuration for AOS Controller Based - How?

Posted Feb 28, 2021 08:14 PM
    Hello

With a MM/MC controller solution running 8.5.0.5, how do I set the gain of the externally attached antennas?

We use the AP374

regards
    Arne

------------------------------
    Arne Bier

• 2.  RE: External Antenna Gain Configuration for AOS Controller Based - How?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 01, 2021 03:13 AM
    Hi Arne,

you can set Provisioning Rules for AP Model, IP-Range, Network Address or any AP to automatic apply Antenna Gain to that AP. This is done by the "Provisioning Rule" which you find on the "Managed Network" Level - Configuration - Access Points - Provisioning Rules 

Another possibility is doing it manually while provisioning process of the dedicated AP.

• 3.  RE: External Antenna Gain Configuration for AOS Controller Based - How?

Posted Mar 01, 2021 04:51 AM
    Thanks for the tip - is it possible to set these values AFTER provisioning, and without Provisioning Rules?

I also cannot see how to check the current gain values on the APs. I did some searches and found a CLI command - but I don't have CLI access to this controller.
    Is there a default gain applied (if the user doesn't set one)?
    In my case, customer set the EIRP to 27dBm (5 GHz radio) and I have no idea what the configured gain is - I assume if the default configured​ gain is 0 dBi and the EIRP is configured as 27 dBm, then the radio will try to produce 27 dBm of power - which is very high in certain UNII bands.

For APs with internal antennae, I assume all of this is taken care of by the controller - i.e. if I want max EIRP of 18 dBm, then the AP knows how much power to crank out of that radio to achieve the EIRP. Is that right?

Arne Bier

• 4.  RE: External Antenna Gain Configuration for AOS Controller Based - How?

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Mar 01, 2021 05:44 AM
    Hi Arne,

In de Aruba configuration the EIRP (Effictive Isotropic Radiated Power) is the tx-power include the antenna gain.

TX Power (dBm) - Cable loss (dB) + Antenna gain (dBi) = EIRP

When configured the EIRP for Access Points with internal antennas the antenna gain is allready known by the AP model and calculated.

With access points with external antennas the atenna gain (dBi) is unknown by the controller and must be filled in manually. When configurerd the controller will calculate the EIRP. 

When an AP with external antennas is not configured the antenna gain, the AP will not come online.

Marcel Koedijk | MVP Guru 2021 | ACMP | ACCP | Ekahau ECSE | Not an HPE Employee | Opionions are my own

• 5.  RE: External Antenna Gain Configuration for AOS Controller Based - How?

Posted Mar 01, 2021 06:11 AM
    thanks Marcel

I have not had the pleasure of provisioning an AP-374, so I appreciate your comments.
    Do you know how to view the configured gain of an AP via the GUI?

regards​

Arne Bier

• 6.  RE: External Antenna Gain Configuration for AOS Controller Based - How?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 01, 2021 06:14 AM
    Here is how you set the gain manual within the provisioning process:

• 7.  RE: External Antenna Gain Configuration for AOS Controller Based - How?

Posted Mar 01, 2021 06:20 AM
    thanks for sharing that.

Is there any way I can view the configured gain of a system where I was not involved in the provisioning of the APs? it would seem a bit of an oversight to not be able to view the currently configured AP gain settings?   

I can easily view AP gain config settings for another Aruba customer that uses IAP-374 and Aruba Central. it should be plain and simple.

Pulling my hair out here ... :(  .... and I don't have CLI access.

Arne Bier

• 8.  RE: External Antenna Gain Configuration for AOS Controller Based - How?

MVP GURU
    Posted Mar 01, 2021 06:51 AM
    Yes. The same way that @cordless showed. Configuration > Access Points > click on the AP > Provision > edit/view the gain.

Dustin Burns

• 9.  RE: External Antenna Gain Configuration for AOS Controller Based - How?

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Mar 01, 2021 06:59 AM
    For example:

tx-Power: 14dBm
    External antenna gain: 4 dBi
    Total output EIRP: 18dBm

The only thing to known is the antenna gain of your externa antennas.

Your EIRP of 18dBm keep the same.

You enter the Antanna gain of the external antennas in the provising profile so the controller known how to calculate the offset.

Marcel Koedijk | MVP Guru 2021 | ACMP | ACCP | Ekahau ECSE | Not an HPE Employee | Opionions are my own

• 10.  RE: External Antenna Gain Configuration for AOS Controller Based - How?

Posted Mar 01, 2021 07:02 AM
    oh man! thanks - I didn't think to scroll down ... :( Now I can see it.

thank you so much!!!

Arne Bier

• 11.  RE: External Antenna Gain Configuration for AOS Controller Based - How?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 01, 2021 07:06 AM

Be sure only to use supported Antennas by Aruba. This guarantees that max. EIRP get not violated.
    Supported Antennas you will get from Ordering Guide - https://www.arubanetworks.com/assets/og/OG_AP-370Series.pdf

If you ever have CLI Access to the Controller you will get this also by choosing this command:
    show ap details ap-name "APNAME"