Controllerless Networks

last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Soft per user bandwidth limit

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  Soft per user bandwidth limit

Posted May 03, 2016 09:28 AM

Hi guys,

I have a single IAP at a small coffee shop with a very small internet connection (15/2). In order to better manage the avalible bandwidth I placed a per user bandwidth limit of 2/1 on the guest SSID. I was wondering if there was a way to make the per user limit soft. In other words make it so that if there is only one user on the network they are allowed the full bandwidth. Also, is there a way to set a per SSID and per user limit at the same time?

• 2.  RE: Soft per user bandwidth limit

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 04, 2016 04:36 AM

Hi,

From the online help in Instant:

You can specify three types of bandwidth limits.

Percentage of Airtime: The aggregate amount of airtime that all clients on this Network can use to send/receive data.

Each User: The throughput for any single user on this Network.

Each Radio: How much throughput each radio (some models of AP have multiple radios) is allowed to provide for all clients in aggregate connected to that radio.

So, if you untick the 'per user' checkbox, the bandwidth limit will be per AP; you can increase the bandwidth limit per radio and users on the same radio will share that bandwidth. This might be close to what you want to achieve...

• 3.  RE: Soft per user bandwidth limit

Posted May 04, 2016 11:35 AM

That isn't quite what I'm looking for. I'm looking for a solution that will keep the guest SSID from using all the bandwidth while also preventing one guest from using all the guest SSID bandwidth but at the same time not limiting each user to 2/1 when it is not necessary.