Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with IMC and Airwave network management solutions.
Expand all | Collapse all

AirWave 8.2.4 NO CLI

Jump to Best Answer
  • 1.  AirWave 8.2.4 NO CLI

Posted Jun 01, 2017 02:30 PM

Was about to update AirWave and noticed a nice little warning message that the CLI would no longer be available.

At least it was in the Relase Notes, unlike the whole adding docker to AirWave.

Looking at 8.2.4 User Guide Appendix B it looks like the replacement to the CentOS shell is a choose your ending number menu.

Way to suck...

At least give me a number option to drop back out to a real shell.

• 2.  RE: AirWave 8.2.4 NO CLI

Posted Jun 01, 2017 02:53 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

There was much debate that went into this feature, and this is just the initial roll out.  As we continue forward, we're hoping to develop custom modules to restore some of the functionality lost by not having direct access to the shell.  If you could help us distinguish which CLI operations you commonly perform from the CLI, we can start to plan out improvements.

We already have a request for a subset of network debugging tools: ping, traceroute, tcpdump, nslookup.  And we're keeping a watchful eye on all inbound requests.  So expanding on your feedback response would help a lot in shaping the future of the product.

• 3.  RE: AirWave 8.2.4 NO CLI

Posted Jun 01, 2017 02:55 PM

A way to escape to the full shell would be much appreciated.

• 4.  RE: AirWave 8.2.4 NO CLI

Posted Jun 01, 2017 03:06 PM

Menchini, again, what needs do you have critical to the operation of the AMP do you need root access for? 

• 5.  RE: AirWave 8.2.4 NO CLI

Posted Jun 01, 2017 03:52 PM
    One thing I use bash for is to automatically move the daily backup files
    off machine into our archival and DR systems using bash scripts I've
    developed and deployed across my Linux servers.

• 6.  RE: AirWave 8.2.4 NO CLI

Posted Jun 01, 2017 04:04 PM

Menchini, automatic daily SCP of nightly backups are there now, RFE for adding Windows shares. So if you are archiving your backups to linux now or an SCP server, you can do that today and have the script change the name once it lands on the target server. 

• 7.  RE: AirWave 8.2.4 NO CLI

Posted Feb 09, 2018 05:58 AM

I'd suggest to log into innovate.arubanetworks.com and file the suggestion.

You might reference NMS-I-810 , which is a request to make this security

feature optional.

• 8.  RE: AirWave 8.2.4 NO CLI

Posted Jun 01, 2017 02:56 PM

I'd like to add a request for a full shell menu option.  

Do I need to add that to the idea's feature request? 

• 9.  RE: AirWave 8.2.4 NO CLI

Posted Jun 01, 2017 03:08 PM

There will not likely be any addition to the AMPCLI to enable full root access, it defies the purpose of putting this in in the first place. 

A list of what you need root access for that is critical to the operation of the AMP server would help us understand your needs and requirements, or address them via the other alternative paths provided in the GUI or AMP CLI, and if they aren't there, we can add them. But root access, just to have it, is not likely going to be a valid reason. 

• 10.  RE: AirWave 8.2.4 NO CLI

Posted Jun 01, 2017 03:22 PM

One other use for the CLI.

I didn't see how you are able to load a Web https certificate for AirWave now. 

Was there a feature in 8.2.4 that allows us to change the web cert in the GUI? 

• 11.  RE: AirWave 8.2.4 NO CLI

Posted Jun 01, 2017 03:29 PM

Web certs are now required to be pkcs12.  once uploaded, you can apply the cert using the Add SSL Cert option under the Security submenu.

Under the Backup submenu, there's adding a destination server.  This will automatically scp the nightly backup to the destination.  Only nightly backups, not the forced on-demand backup.

• 12.  RE: AirWave 8.2.4 NO CLI

Posted Jun 01, 2017 03:35 PM

Will you be adding a CIFS option and not just a SCP option for the backups? Many are only using Windows fileshares and do not have a SCP destination. 

• 13.  RE: AirWave 8.2.4 NO CLI

Posted Jun 01, 2017 03:47 PM

CIFS option would be a feature request.  If you had a script/cronjob running in the background that was performing this task, it should still be active post upgrade to 8.2.4.  Disabling of previously configured cronjobs and custom scripts will be taken care of in support cases.

• 14.  RE: AirWave 8.2.4 NO CLI

Posted Jul 26, 2017 04:32 PM

We manage our own Airwave server (not an Aruba appliance) and need CLI access to monitor system health and to perform other management functions which are not available via the GUI, such as
    1. Monitor individual SSD health using SMART statistics and RAID statistics and send weekly email reports of SSD status.
    2. Local IP tables to allow access and disallow unwanted access.
    3. Copy nightly backups to remote storage.
    4. Periodic purge and rebuild of the database.
    5. Weekly restart of AMP services (to prevent swap space from filling up, etc.)
    6. Various other ad-hoc monitoring of the server to verify system status and troubleshoot issues like access to APs, controllers, SNMP issues, syslog issues, etc.

Several of these (e.g. SSD health and copy of nightly backups) are done via CRON, not manually. We don't specifically need root access, but some of these (iptables) require at least sudo.

• 15.  RE: AirWave 8.2.4 NO CLI

Posted Jul 26, 2017 08:01 PM

1. Can look at filing an RFE to add advanced disk diagnostics to the 'Performance' page.

2. I thoguht we had an allowed networks list, but apparently not. That should be an easy RFE to file on the 'Networks' page to get parity with CPPM

3. This is already added in AMPCLI

4. This should not be necessary

5. Also should not be necessary.

6. More troubleshooting support will be added to AMPCLI over time

• 16.  RE: AirWave 8.2.4 NO CLI

Posted Aug 03, 2017 07:52 PM

Hi Jerrod, I'd like to throw in another vote for scripting or cron management in some form or another, as we cannot upgrade without access to modify the custom scripts managing our ArubaOS controller via "on_controller" commands.

Support had some suggestions on how replace the scripts with some configuration changes on the controller, but I fear those adjustments will simply confuse my users.  The only real solution seemed to be configuring a device simply to remote into my controller for scripting.  I'd prefer to limit how many systems I need to manage my Aruba infrastructure (seems to be 5 separate UIs I need to access across 3 devices).

• 17.  RE: AirWave 8.2.4 NO CLI

Posted Jun 14, 2017 02:50 PM

I'd prefer to have a full shell available for when I need it. And so far we've needed it. We couldn't have deployed AMP 8.2.3.1 without a root shell, because of the need to resize the underlying volumes and filesystem. 

I wish I had know that this was the direction Aruba was headed with their products, before we bought them. 

• 18.  RE: AirWave 8.2.4 NO CLI

Posted Jun 14, 2017 05:04 PM

Re-scaling the disk is usually handled via creating of a new AMP deployment with the proper disk settings and then restoring a nightly backup on to the new platform. While some can properly re-partition and format, most fail and leades to big support efforts and usually loss of data. 

• 19.  RE: AirWave 8.2.4 NO CLI

Posted Jun 14, 2017 05:41 PM

Jerrod, 

I don't follow. What is deploying with proper disk settings? How would I deploy the OVA a second time and get different results? 

• 20.  RE: AirWave 8.2.4 NO CLI

Posted Jun 14, 2017 06:07 PM

Generally, you would use the OVA for demo, and then for a production installation you would install from the ISO and manually configure a CentOS AMP VM with the required settings and resources outlined in the sizing guide. 

• 21.  RE: AirWave 8.2.4 NO CLI

Posted Jun 14, 2017 06:14 PM

To add, the AW installation guide highlights (Table 1) that the OVA is optimized for up to 100 devices. Otheriwse to use the ISO.

I wish we would post up multiple OVAs pre-configured, that may happen at some point later on. 

• 22.  RE: AirWave 8.2.4 NO CLI

Posted Jun 15, 2017 05:52 AM

@jhoward wrote:

Re-scaling the disk is usually handled via creating of a new AMP deployment with the proper disk settings and then restoring a nightly backup on to the new platform. While some can properly re-partition and format, most fail and leades to big support efforts and usually loss of data. 

I have resized Airwave disks numerous times via the CLI without any issues whatsoever. Isn't it just a matter of not messing up any of the commands?

These work magic by the way (well right up until 8.2.4 that is):

lvm pvcreate /dev/sda#
    lvm vgextend "VolGroup00" /dev/sda#
    lvm lvresize -l +100%FREE /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
    resize2fs /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00

• 23.  RE: AirWave 8.2.4 NO CLI

Posted Jun 14, 2017 05:16 PM

Let me see if I can help address some of these comments.  I'm also fwding to PLM so that they can review:

@jeff.g.kier - snmpwalks = US16804

@alow - change graphics - need more info, which images are you changing?  I've filed US16805, but need more info on the specifics that you're changing for PLM to make an educated decision.

@HLavender -

cert generation = US16631 (w/ CSR), US14594 (just cert generation, no CSR)

there's no SCPing of files between 2 AMPs.  If you have Failover, it will still get the backups of the monitored AMPs via http/https.

@Michael_Clarke - static route = US16801

@gilmorrr -

backups -> see the backup menu, there's a 'set destination' that will auto SCP backups to a destination.  If you already had a script performing this in a cronjob, that cronjob will continue to run.  Edits to cronjob will be mitigated in support cases.

db access -> if you can expand on the tables you utilize the most, then we can make sure the APIs get expanded to cover those tables

mass import = US16806

@Chris F

ifconfig / bonded interfaces = US16625

@Sascha Becht

db access -> if you can expand on the tables you utilize the most, then we can make sure the APIs get expanded to cover those tables

• 24.  RE: AirWave 8.2.4 NO CLI

Posted Jun 14, 2017 05:36 PM

Rob

We often change the following on some of our AMP servers.

/var/www/html/images/theme/airwave/title.png

/var/www/noauth/theme/dev/login-logo.png

/var/www/noauth/theme/airwave/login-logo.png

We use have been using these appliances in a manged services enviroment for a number of years and have given cusotmers access to the AMP appliances to run reports etc. So we have changed some of the images to reflect the platforms function.

Its a small change but they need to be updated every time we patch the appliances or deploy a new one.

thanks

Andy

• 25.  RE: AirWave 8.2.4 NO CLI

Posted Jun 14, 2017 05:38 PM

Got it, added the details into the feature request.  PLM are planning to review the items filed this week.

• 26.  RE: AirWave 8.2.4 NO CLI

Posted Jun 21, 2017 01:34 PM

I miss being able to see which process are up - especially after a reboot.

• 27.  RE: AirWave 8.2.4 NO CLI

Posted Jun 21, 2017 01:39 PM

As a power user of nearly every system I encounter, I like the ability to get to a shell - I want one in CPPM as well.

The thousand or so times I've needed to have or give shell access to Airwave for TAC, never mind system admin tasks make it seem logical to provide a shell.

You've asked us to justify why we should have it back, but I haven't seen an explanation of why you took it away.

Can you shed some light on it for me?

• 28.  RE: AirWave 8.2.4 NO CLI

Posted Jun 21, 2017 04:39 PM

@msabin wrote:

You've asked us to justify why we should have it back, but I haven't seen an explanation of why you took it away.

Can you shed some light on it for me?

PLM should probably be the ones to respond to this.  Fwded to the PLM team.

• 29.  RE: AirWave 8.2.4 NO CLI

Posted Jun 21, 2017 06:11 PM

Hi Matthew,

We removed the root access because our most security-concious customers view this capability as a security vulnerability.  And they're right about this point -- a user (or bot) with root privs can do essentially anything on a server, including malicious activities. 

We also recognize that our customers have been able to do a lot of great things with the privileges.

In prepping for 8.2.4 I talked with customers, with support and with our account teams to prioritize the most important things that users do at the CLI.  I know that we didn't implement everything.  

My plan is to continue adding to the CLI feature set to help you accomplish more of these things.  In reading through this thread and getting feedback through other channels I know that customers want to a bunch of things including: 

- Increase disk size

- View/control processes

- Transfer files

- Update files

- Test device connectivity

We are looking into doing all of these in 8.2.5.  In the meantime, anybody who wants this or other can request (via the CLI menu + TAC) that we add a custom menu item.  

Thanks,

Dan Comfort

Product Manager, AirWave

• 30.  RE: AirWave 8.2.4 NO CLI

Posted Jun 21, 2017 06:43 PM

Thanks Dan

I would have liked to be one of the customers you talked to ahead of time, and I would have liked to know before hand what was happening.

I completely agree that root access was a bad thing.

I however think that no visibility under the hood makes the appliance less secure - I'm now completely having to trust Aruba to secure the OS and can't easily check when my PCI assessor asks if we're patched.

I'll learn to live with it as I need the tool more than I need to have full control.

• 31.  RE: AirWave 8.2.4 NO CLI

Posted Jun 25, 2017 03:01 AM

Clearly this is not to address customer security concerns, as we suggested to PLM serveral times that if a customer requires this there is simily an option to turn it on (similar to how FIPS is implemention on ClearPass or on the Controller).  We have serveral customers who use custom routines on the linux shell of the server.  Aruba/HPE clearly wants to shut down this access.  Security is not the answer...

• 32.  RE: AirWave 8.2.4 NO CLI

Posted Jun 26, 2017 06:58 AM

Hi @ all,

i am new at Airwave. i will miss the cli, too. We use Redhat here, so my first idea was to install Airwave to one of our RHEL Systems. So i could use our standard backup tool HP Data Protector. 

i think, it should be my decision which Linux, i will use for Airwave. With Airwave on our RHEL i would have a perfect integrated Airwave System. 

Greetings 

Christian

PS: Sorry, no english speaker

• 33.  RE: AirWave 8.2.4 NO CLI

Posted Jun 26, 2017 11:11 AM

Changing sides of the fence - I completely agree that remote root access is a terrible security risk. I prefer the model where a general user login with sudo permissions can greatly improve security of the system.

• 34.  RE: AirWave 8.2.4 NO CLI

Posted Jun 27, 2017 12:56 AM

I forgot one point: Icinga!

• 35.  RE: AirWave 8.2.4 NO CLI

Posted Jun 29, 2017 01:04 PM

I do have to agree with @fredw his post here though. This could have been made optional as an added security feature. Or another solution would have been to implement two factor authentication. 

The Airwave upgrade procedure already requires your Aruba credentials to download images, something similar could have been implemented for root access. 

It kinda makes me wondor if this was done to prevent customers from screwing things up via the CLI. You can easily mess up your entire Airwave installation with 1 wrong command after all.

That being said, if Aruba manages to add the options listed here in 8.2.5, the closed shell should become a lot more practical already. 

• 36.  RE: AirWave 8.2.4 NO CLI

Posted Aug 11, 2017 12:50 PM

We would appriciate it if you had the 'additional functionality' in place prior to removing the regular functionality.  Many of us use OUR ( not your ) servers for other purposes and you have just removed our ability to levergage OUR hardware the way we see fit.   I do not know any of your customers who are happy with this change.  It has cerntainly pushed us to look for other solutions.

• 37.  RE: AirWave 8.2.4 NO CLI

Posted Aug 17, 2017 08:58 AM

Hi,

Any news about include vmware tools support ? because it is complicated to ask to TAC for each upgrade of AirWave (when there is a Kernel Update !)

• 38.  RE: AirWave 8.2.4 NO CLI

Posted Aug 17, 2017 09:02 AM
    In the VMware tools note, also request LIS for Hyper-V.

• 39.  RE: AirWave 8.2.4 NO CLI

Posted Aug 23, 2017 02:53 AM

So, today I opened yet another TAC case for 5 new issues that we are facing in light of this horrible decision.

Let me know what Arubas though on these are:

1. We need to add more routes to the Airwave server. We are not able to do that when the root access was removed. 

2. We are unable to add additional network interfaces to the machine. Was easy to do before, now it is a problem.

3. How do we install the certificate and generate a Certificate signing request? This is for the web interface.

4. When the upgrade was made to 8.2.4.1, backups stopped running. They stopped completely. We previously used a bash script putting the files on an ftp server after backup was done.

5. Still, SCP file uploading/downloading does not work. Yes, TAC has looked into this has has no solution. Tried linux server, TAC recommended ones etc. Nothing works. Works with other clients/services. Not Ariwave

• 40.  RE: AirWave 8.2.4 NO CLI

Posted Jun 01, 2017 03:01 PM

mholden, while we appreciate the deep, insightful feedback of "Way to suck", it would be far more helpful to inform us on how you are using the CLI and why you require access to the root shell.

Access to the shell has causedd no end of support issues long-term where changes were made, packages installed that resulted in stability issues, modifications to settings made that created long, difficult to pin down root-causes that were impacting customer perception of the product. Additionally, leaving root access was a threat vector of bad actors having access to the system adding in software that exposed the machine to additional risk (packages that added CSS vulnerabilities and exploits via some web interface installed as part of the 3rd party package).

No other product in the Aruba portfolio leave access to the shell open and this is just the evolution of AirWave into a more secure and stable product. While we can appreicate a small handful of customers that like having access to the shell, it's not a requirement and so long as our customers are informing us as to what they need from the shell that they aren't getting from the AMP CLI and GUI, we can add those support features in as needed. 

Thanks, as always. 

• 41.  RE: AirWave 8.2.4 NO CLI

Posted Jun 01, 2017 03:16 PM