Security

last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Clearpass device registration (formerly MACTrac)

This thread has been viewed 77 times
  • 1.  Clearpass device registration (formerly MACTrac)

Posted May 08, 2019 08:18 AM

Hello,

I am looking for documentation on "Clearpass device registration" . I am working with a University who have a requirement that students/staff can authenticate non 802.1x devices (game consoles, chrome casts etc..) onto eduroam. I understand we can set up a self service portal where students can register these devices themselves but struggling to find user guides on it. I have seen the below document referenced on Airheads but the link no longer works.

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Unlisted-1/How-To-Advanced-Device-Registration-in-ClearPass-November-MHC/td-p/217291

thanks in advance

• 2.  RE: Clearpass device registration (formerly MACTrac)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 02, 2019 03:11 AM

That referenced document was outdated. The basic steps to set up (self) device registration are:

- Allow users to log in to the Guest portal with the Device Registration Operator Profile. See this video how to configure that.

- If needed change or create your own Device Registration Operator Profile. Some useful information here.

- Use the Guest Device Repository as MACAuth authentication source or authorization source of other authentication types.

- If you create an external captive portal redirect for unknown/unregistered devices, the MAC address will be automatically filled, which is useful for devices that have a browser as you can register those from the device itself.

- For other devices, your users can go to https://your.clear.pass/guest (replace your.clear.pass with the hostname of your ClearPass) and register headless devices and manage existing devices.

Does this provide enough guidance?

• 3.  RE: Clearpass device registration (formerly MACTrac)

Posted May 06, 2020 11:53 AM

Hi Herman,

To add on to the original question. Is it possible to change the Guest Role ID depending on an AD profile? Looking to automate the process of placing end-user registered devices on different networks depending on their endpoint attributes.

Ideally, a user would log into the guest portal using AD credentials and get an Operator Profile. When they create a guest device it would get a specific endpoint ID (based on their AD attributes) that my mac-auth could use to choose the network it gets. Would I need a different Operator profile for each AD group or is there a way to simplify that?

More specifically, is there a list of attributes that I could pass to clearpass guest besides just "admin_privileges" that could autofill a form?

P.S. You're a legend. Thanks a ton for the Cleapass Workshop Series. I've learned a ton from it!

• 4.  RE: Clearpass device registration (formerly MACTrac)

Posted Aug 04, 2020 12:50 PM

Interested in this as well.  Working for a College.  I am struggling to set the CPG mac cached devices expiration.  We are also using Guest Role ID to identify student vs. staff, and I am wondering how I could pass attributes from CPPM to CPG and vice versa.  Thanks all!