Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Miracast over infrastructure

This thread has been viewed 16 times
  • 1.  Miracast over infrastructure

Posted Jul 24, 2019 02:11 PM

Anyone using this? I have a box (Mersive Solstice Gen3) that offers Miracast over infrastructure and it isn't working well. I get a connection but the resulting video quality is awful. So what....

Testing the same box on my tiny network at home and it works just fine. I know I'm using infrastructure and not WiFi Direct in both cases.

Something is preventing this device from working nicely with our Aruba infrastructure setup. Clearly there's a huge number of variables, and I'm slowly working through things, but wondered if anyone has encountered and overcome issues like this.

I have my theories as to why it's not working well, but none of them account for the fact it works perfectly elsewhere.

What I have ascertained is I have a good datapath between the laptops I'm testing with and the vlan the miracast box is plugged into. For example with iPerf I can get a reliable 60Mbps of UDP in either direction with no packet loss. Overall TCP bandwidth is in excess of 200Mbps. Network has fast links and is quiet. I'm pretty certain this isn't a layer1 problem.

My test environment uses a AP-225. We have four clustered controllers and we're running 8.4.0.4

• 2.  RE: Miracast over infrastructure

Posted Aug 30, 2019 08:51 AM

We bought 2 of these devices here. To date, I have been able to use one in test, the users and the solstice in different vlan via airgroup. I am currently trying to install a 2nd device in another vlan and I can not detect it as an airgroup server even if the configuration is similar. I'll work on it tomorrow and try to find out what's wrong.
    Did you finally find the problem on your side? About my video quality, I do not have enough work yet to notice a difference between a typical residential setup and our comapus setup. I will keep you informed of our progress.

• 3.  RE: Miracast over infrastructure

Posted Sep 06, 2019 12:15 PM

Sadly no progress at all. I'm waiting until Mersive can give me some time from their tech team to understand what's going on with Miracast.

• 4.  RE: Miracast over infrastructure

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 07, 2019 09:42 AM

In the limited interaction that I have with Mersive, it is best to set up a discovery host (SDS) that you can point all of the devices to for registration, rather than rely on discovery. https://www.mersive.com/guides/solstice-discovery-service-sds-guide/

They recommend this for larger environments, but the more mersive devices you have on your network, the more the broadcasts will punish your wired network if you don't use SDS.  Setup SDS so clients are aware of all the resources.  The Mersive Boxes will push the ip address of the SDS box to all the clients that connect to it.

• 5.  RE: Miracast over infrastructure

Posted Sep 07, 2019 11:25 AM

Our AV team will take care of the SDS side of things, though this is only relevant to the Solstice app. For the Solstice to support Airplay, it uses mDNS discovery with Aruba Airgroups - that side of things is working nicely.

Solstice supports MS-MICE discovery for miracast which does some mDNS, which can use Airgroups. Devices I've tested, including the latest Windows 10 clients, are using the Wi-Fi Direct beacons for miracast discovery then, because Solstice allows disabling Miracast over Wi-Fi Direct, the client does a DNS lookup for the hostname of the Solstice box to connect over infrastructure. 

In our case everything looks like it's working just fine but the quality of the Miracast over infrastructure that's unusable. This is unique to Solstice too, miracast over infrastructure works fine with other miracast servers on our network.