Wireless Access

last person joined: 3 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Apple iOS Devices WiFi Disconnect in Standby Mode

This thread has been viewed 8 times
  • 1.  Apple iOS Devices WiFi Disconnect in Standby Mode

MVP
    Posted Oct 07, 2019 05:11 PM

We utilize Apple iOS devices as an enterprise at multiple facilities of ours and over the last 6+ months have started receiving an increasing number of reports of "random disconnection" from the WiFi. This appears to be limited to only Apple iOS devices in various locations both Aruba and Cisco Wireless, varying controller and AP models, as well as firmware. Through my research, it appears to be a common issue, mostly indicating an issue with iOS. I've done wireless PCAPs and see the iOS devices sending a Disassociation frame to the AP after about 5 minutes of the screen being off. In most of our facilities, cellular signal is poor or non-existent and we are leveraging more and more iOS applications for our business and not being able to get notifications quickly is starting to result in a big headache. Has anybody dealt with this in the past and have any suggestion on anything I can look into doing to help alleviate this "feature" (problem) with our devices. 

FYI - this seems to impact both MDM managed devices on our 802.1X network and visitor devices on our open guest network. 

We are running 7210 and 7220 controllers and have 6.4 and 6.5 code currently based on location. All combinations have reported this issue in some capacity. 

• 2.  RE: Apple iOS Devices WiFi Disconnect in Standby Mode

Posted Oct 07, 2019 06:41 PM
    This may be due to ios devices going to sleep.

What is the shown in the death reason for the client? Sta has left and disassociated?

Show ap association client-mac [Mac of client]

Show ap client trail-info (Mac of client)

What do you see with respect to the stm messages in general logs?

Show log all | include (Mac of client)

Look for specific time-stamped messages during the disconnection

• 3.  RE: Apple iOS Devices WiFi Disconnect in Standby Mode

MVP
    Posted Oct 07, 2019 08:05 PM
    Yup that is normally what it says or unspecified failure in some cases, but
    mostly STA has left and disassociated.

• 4.  RE: Apple iOS Devices WiFi Disconnect in Standby Mode

Posted Oct 10, 2019 02:26 PM

Hi, I investigated the same behavior in our company lab , iOS devices turn off wireless connection when the screen is off.
    Here is a guide that talk about that "problem" (energy saving)

https://www.imobie.com/support/wifi-disconnects-when-iphone-is-locked.htm 

If my reply helps you , a Kudo is always welcome :)

Kind Regards