Wireless Access

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Roaming on an AP at a Particular Time

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Roaming on an AP at a Particular Time

Posted Oct 29, 2019 05:31 PM

We have been dealing with some thefts lately and I'm trying to find who was roaming or associated with a particular access point at a given time range in the past 30 days. I can easily get association time within AirWave, but it doesn't necessarily cover roaming if the original association was on another AP. Does anyone have instructions for how to access this information via AirWave 8.2.3.1? Controller is 7205 with AOS 8.3.0.5. Thank you!

• 2.  RE: Roaming on an AP at a Particular Time

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 29, 2019 05:55 PM

Airwave only takes samples at 5 minute intervals, so it will not have the resolution you needed.  Unless you had user debug logging enabled sending that information to a syslog server you would not be able to have that information at the resolution you need.

• 3.  RE: Roaming on an AP at a Particular Time

Posted Oct 29, 2019 06:01 PM

I just turned on the debugging per this article https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Community-Tribal-Knowledge-Base/How-to-Monitor-Client-Roaming-via-Syslog-commandline-and-Airwave/ta-p/85404 (by you cjoseph!)

If I ssh'd in and ran "config t logging level debugging user" I should be all set going forward, correct?

• 4.  RE: Roaming on an AP at a Particular Time

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 29, 2019 06:14 PM

You would need to configure syslog on that controller to log to a syslog server.  The controller has limited space and the records will roll over and be erased.  User debugging generates TONS of information.

• 5.  RE: Roaming on an AP at a Particular Time

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 29, 2019 06:39 PM

And....enabling user debugging can lead to higher CPU on your controller.....