Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Antenna Selection / Ant Direction / AP Mounted

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Antenna Selection / Ant Direction / AP Mounted

Posted Apr 09, 2020 09:34 AM
      |   view attached

Hi guys 

Hope every body have good day 

i have two cases 

Case 1 : I am using AP-375 it covers between 50 to 100 M on open space , I want to provide outdoor coverage for an area larger than what the integrated antenna cover, which antenna can extend that coverage out to 300-400M ?

Case 2 : I am using AP-314 With With 4 (AP-ANT-1W 2.4-2.5GHz (4dBi)/4.9-5.875GHz (6dBi) Hi Gain Dual-band Omni-Dir Indoor Antenna) , I have building with the following roughly measurement (Length : 27M . Width : 17M , Ceiling height :3M ) the building wall is cinder block , the ceiling is concrete , i have mounting AP along the walls and the ceiling on the hallway to provide room coverage (as you can see attached real site survey ) , i got bad coverage on the room which located on the back of the AP and the room which is 10 m far from the AP , the questions is
    Q1. what is the is best way to mount the AP based on the building infrastructure i have provided ?
    Q2. AP314 is 4x4 MIMO on 5Ghz and 2x2 MIMO on 2.4GHZ is the direction and the angel of the ant will be effecting the coverage
    Q3. is using an extra antenna instead of the 1W antenna will improve the signal coverage for ex 20 W Ant , if yes can you please recommend

Thanks Guys 

• 2.  RE: Antenna Selection / Ant Direction / AP Mounted
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 09, 2020 09:51 AM

Case 1:  You need a second access point.  Your clients' adapters would not have the strength to answer reliably to an access point at that distance.

Case 2:  If you want coverage in rooms, you pretty much have little alternative but to mount omnidirectional access points in rooms near users.  Cinderblock degrades wifi considerably and hallway mounting ends up putting users 2, 3 and possibly 4 walls of cinderblock between users and access points.  Hallway mounting also introduces alot of cochannel interference which, in addition to providing poor coverage, provides poor performance.

Please see the Residence Halls VRD here:  https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Validated-Reference-Design/Next-Generation-Wireless-Architecture-for-Multimedia-Grade/ta-p/510213 for some ideas about #2.

• 3.  RE: Antenna Selection / Ant Direction / AP Mounted

Posted Apr 10, 2020 11:09 AM

Thanks for your answer and the helpful link you have provided below 

I have totality understand the microcell architecture by adding AP's on the room near users  , but i think this scenario is not be suitable for me for many reasons

1- i am not planning to renew my infrastructure and i want to use the the existing ap on the hallway

2- i can't put AP on the user room for many reason

which is mean i want to go ahead with hallway deployment with achieving  the best performance , is i am able to do this by dual radio ap for ex ap105 on the both end of the hallway 

thanks 

• 4.  RE: Antenna Selection / Ant Direction / AP Mounted

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 10, 2020 11:32 AM

If you deploy in the hallway, you have to accept (1) poor coverage in rooms (2) cochannel interference by so many access points needed in the hallway to provide adequate coverage in rooms.  If you have wired connectivity in your rooms, I would consider putting a wallbox access point, so that you don't have to run any additional cabling:  https://www.arubanetworks.com/assets/ds/DS_AP303H.pdf

• 5.  RE: Antenna Selection / Ant Direction / AP Mounted

Posted Apr 10, 2020 04:58 PM

Thanks ,

so using different type of antenna (like 20w ant ) will not help ?

• 6.  RE: Antenna Selection / Ant Direction / AP Mounted

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 10, 2020 05:29 PM

A sector antenna will provide better coverage down the hallway, but it will not give better coverage inside the rooms, if the access point/antenna is mounted outside, unfortunately.

• 7.  RE: Antenna Selection / Ant Direction / AP Mounted

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 10, 2020 05:53 PM

Just to follow up, a sector antenna right outside a room will not provide more coverage than an omnidirectional antenna right outside the room.  A sector antenna just focuses the energy in a different direction, but it does not create any more energy than an omnidirectional antenna.

• 8.  RE: Antenna Selection / Ant Direction / AP Mounted

Posted Apr 10, 2020 07:11 PM

Thanks