Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

iap-305-us dropping packets on new installation

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  iap-305-us dropping packets on new installation

Posted Jun 23, 2020 10:25 AM

I purchased my first Aruba WAP.  It's an IAP-305-US.  There is no controller, so it's using the built in virtual controller.  I have logged in, set a static IP address for both the virtual controller and the local device, and created a basic wireless network WPA-Personal (WPA2/AES) encryption.  I removed the initial "Open" network it comes with.

Ever since swapping this out for my Meraki devices (licensing was expiring on them), I have been dropping packets on all of my clients.  If I'm on a wired connection, everything is fine.  I can ping internal and external resources without any drops when on wired access.  As soon as I switch to wireless, my laptops both start dropping 1-5% packets.

I checked for a firmware update on the IAP, but it's up to date.  I tried manually adjusting the channels and transmit power that the AP uses, but that doesn't make a difference either.

This is a brand new AP being set up for the first time.  Oh, and I'm sitting 3 feet from the access point while testing, so I don't think it's an issue of signal strength.  Also, sometimes when I'm using a WiFi scanner on my phone, the SSID will disappear from the graph, but I'm not sure that's related to a problem with the AP; that could very well just be flakiness with the app.

Oh, and because I set up the new SSID with the same name and key as the old one, all of our devices are connecting to it without any issues, so client connection does not seem to be an issue.  Additionally, on my wife's laptop, I have updated her wireless NIC drivers and "forgotten" the network, but after re-connecting, the drops are still continuing, so I feel really confident that this is an issue with the AP somehow and not one our clients.

The AP is running version 8.6.0.4.

Any ideas?

• 2.  RE: iap-305-us dropping packets on new installation

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 23, 2020 10:32 AM

Did you try to enable broadcast filtering in the advanced setting for your SSID?

• 3.  RE: iap-305-us dropping packets on new installation

Posted Jun 23, 2020 10:55 AM

I don't even see that as an option anywhere.  Is that a feature only available with a true controller in place, or maybe I'm looking in the wrong spot.

Edit: when I look at the configuration of the AP, I can see this line in the config:

broadcast-filter arp

It's not something I specifically added, though, so I assume it's there by default, and I don't see a way of setting it in the GUI. After reading the description of that configuration setting, I wouldn't think it would it cause lost packets in this case (either from PING/ICMP or from apps that keep losing connectivity).

Thanks.