Wireless Access

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Dual ethernet port AP535 configuration best practices

This thread has been viewed 109 times
  • 1.  Dual ethernet port AP535 configuration best practices

Posted Jul 27, 2020 08:25 AM

Hello folks,

What would be the best practices for connecting AP with both ports in term of a switch config without leveraging LACP?

I observe a layer2 loop every single time AP is connected to the network with both ports. The loop goes away as soon as AP found MC.

Thank you

• 2.  RE: Dual ethernet port AP535 configuration best practices

Posted Mar 22, 2021 07:11 AM
    Hi,

maybe too late for your question but we have a same situation, and here's how to rid of storm nightmare when install AP in prod network:

1. configure switch port for AP535-eth0 and AP535-eth1
    2. disabling the port which connected to AP535-eth1
    3. install AP535 physically
    4. configuring MC(MD) for new AP
    5. make sure AP is installed correctly in MC(MD)
    5. enabling the port which connected to AP535-eth1

by the way our aruba rep/SE says there are no layer2 loop issue found AP535 in Dev environment they confirmed, but actually it always happen in our environment. I wonder someone has same circumstances and best practice for this. the list I wrote above is just a workaround method I'm sure.

------------------------------
    Yusuke Tatematsu

• 3.  RE: Dual ethernet port AP535 configuration best practices

Posted May 04, 2021 12:11 PM

Yusuke, 

I am glad you mentioned this. We have several AP515 that have also created broadcast storms (loops) when both ports are plugged in. Even though the Aruba 2930F switch has loop protect enabled, there are zero entries in the log about a loop condition, however much as you have experienced, the AP is creating a loop. I have tried unsuccessfully to re-produce this problem in a lab/isolated environment. 

---

Tim Mann

Tim Mann

• 4.  RE: Dual ethernet port AP535 configuration best practices

Posted May 04, 2021 12:11 PM

Yusuke, 

Thank you for posting your experience. We have several AP515's in a customer's production environment that created a loop as well. Even though the Aruba2930F switch has loop protect enabled, and there is no mention of a loop in the switch logs either. We have tried unsuccessfully to recreate the same conditions in a lab. 

---

Tim

Tim Mann

• 5.  RE: Dual ethernet port AP535 configuration best practices

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 05, 2021 01:51 AM
    Hi,

You need to use active LACP on the link aggregation for the AP. This will make the AP detect the LACP packets during startup and form a link aggregation as well. 
    If no LACP packets are seen from the switch the AP will use both ports in an active-standby mode. If this is not the case, I would consider it a bug. 

BR
    Florian

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Florian Baaske
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.
    Also visit the AirHeads Youtube Channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFJCnuXFGfEbwEzfcgU_ERQ
    Feel free to visit my personal Blog
    https://www.flomain.de

• 6.  RE: Dual ethernet port AP535 configuration best practices

Posted Feb 07, 2022 02:15 PM
      |   view attached
    Just came across this thread we having same issue too

Is this where we need to change the configuration for the AP Change LACP to Active Mode right and thats all?

Got AP515 connected a cable via both ether ports and was getting loops

Sajid Pandore

• 7.  RE: Dual ethernet port AP535 configuration best practices

Posted Nov 08, 2022 12:40 PM
    Bumping up an old thread but, we experienced same issue today.  model 555 dual connected to cisco switch both ports are setup as access ports instead of trunk with bpdu guard enabled.  Sometimes the secondary port will err-disable but, today it didn't and it took down the entire vlan the aps are on with a loop.  Does anyone have a work around for this?  Just not plug in both ports?

• 8.  RE: Dual ethernet port AP535 configuration best practices

Posted Nov 08, 2022 03:15 PM
    Yeh we ended up using Trunk Configuration in the end so Ports 1/2, 3/4 etc. were trunked and we just connected them up that seemed to have worked