Controllerless Networks

last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Changing the default DHCP Scope

This thread has been viewed 8 times
  • 1.  Changing the default DHCP Scope

Posted Mar 04, 2017 08:25 PM

I'm trying to configure my AP103 so that it always assigns DHCP addresses from the 10.0.0.100 - 10.0.0.200 range to my wireless clients.

I've seen the instructions saying you can specify network under More --> DHCP Server --> Virtual Controller Assigned - Default DHCP Scope but anytime I go to add the 10.0.0.0 network I get the message...

ERROR: subnet for magic-vlan is overlapping local interface subnet

Please can anyone help?

• 2.  RE: Changing the default DHCP Scope

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Mar 05, 2017 05:19 AM

Hey, what is your local interface set too? Is it in the 10.x.x.x range as well? 

Have a look and see what your magic-vlan is set to (vlan 3333) and then see if this overlaps with your local interface. You can do this using the command below :

Instant-105# show dhcp-allocation 

---------------------/etc/dnsmasq.conf--------------------
    listen-address=127.0.0.1
    addn-hosts=/etc/ld_eth_hosts
    addn-hosts=/etc/ld_ppp_hosts
    dhcp-src=172.31.98.1
    dhcp-leasefile=/tmp/dnsmasq.leases
    dhcp-authoritative
    filterwin2k
    #magic-vlan 
    {
    	vlan-id=3333
    	dhcp-range=172.31.98.3,172.31.99.254,255.255.254.0,8m
    	dhcp-option=1,255.255.254.0
    	dhcp-option=3,172.31.98.1
    	dhcp-option=6,4.4.2.2
    	dhcp-option=15,test
    	dhcp-option=54,172.31.98.1
    }

It sounds like the IAP possibly sits on 10.0.0.x and you are also trying to assign IP's from this range as well. 

As a test trying using a different DHCP IP range from the IAP and let us know if you can configure that?

• 3.  RE: Changing the default DHCP Scope

Posted Mar 05, 2017 07:38 PM

Thanks Zailon,

I've set my the Master IP to be 10.0.0.254 and, unfortunately I need it to stay that way because the servers on the network need to talk to clients and vice-versa. I found that when I let the VC assign IPs from the 172.x.x.x subnet, my company's app, running on a smartphone, doen't have full functionality because it needs to connect to two servers simultanesouly in the 10.0.0.x/8 subnet and its not happening for some reason. I only connect to one of the two servers so only see half the functionality.

So I just want a flat network where everything sits on the same 10.0.0.0/8 subnet VLAN because I don't need anything NATed. I know I can get that by choosing the "Network assigned" for Client IP assignment and choosing the "Default" VLAN and everything works great (used static IPs) but then I have to have a DHCP Server service somewhere on the subnet network or keep assigning static IPs to all the clients.